New Member from Los Angeles, CA.

yorkiemiki

Jun 9, 2014
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
"Winbest" by Barska "Pro Edition Metal Detector"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Southern Los Angeles, CA near the ocean. I got a metal detector about a month ago because I was obsessing over it after watching youtube videos, and just wanting to get into it for a while.

I went on amazon and got an under $100 detector "Winbest Pro Edition Metal Detector by BARSKA"

So far I've been to the beach a few times and found lots of trash, about 10 pennies and a dime :)

Anyone have any suggestions for a Southern California noob? Do you guys usually do detecting at the beach?

imagesE09GBOSN.jpg

Hit the towel line early in the morning or late in the evening when the beach-goers are gone. Grid the area. GO SLOW. Keep your coil level with the ground and as close to the surface as possible. You will get trash targets at the beach. I use a duel feed PI machine that does not discriminate and just know I'll get trash, but also get treasure mixed in. You will eventually learn the sounds on your machine and can pass on some targets.

Thanks fr the tips.

I've been reading about people's banner finds. Very impressive... oh to some day get one. I'm guessing most days can be empty...but i guess its like fishing. Any other beginner tips appreciated.

I will probably also have to upgrade my device or get a waterproof one for beach I assume?

Welcome to TreasureNet!

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Welcome to Treasurenet! The better beach machines are either PI (pulse Induction) or multi frequency machines. An inexpensive machine can find targets in the dry sand, but don't generally work well in wet sand or saltwater (mineralization from salt concentration). Keep trying and eventually you may find some rings in the dry sand, the better finds are usually in the wet sand and water.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Welcome aboard!! :)
attachment.php

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back