New member and brand new to metal detecting.

OutrageousBob

Greenie
Jun 20, 2024
Hi Folks,

Bob from NH. My son bought me a Vanquish 540 Pr Pack for father's day and I got profind 35 pin-pointer. I live on a few acres with stone walls adjacent to an 8 acre field. I even have a stone dump where they piled excess field stones when clearing the land in colonial days. Anyway, I went out this morning and detected for about a hour and found a square nail, a pellet from my son’s old pellet gun, stainless car trim pieces and two very old oxen shoe halves. The oxen shoes were 8-10” deep. Not a bad start to my new hobby! My wife told me not to dig up the entire damn yard😂! Can’t wait to get back out there!

Attachments

• IMG_4960.jpeg
    IMG_4960.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
Upvote 16
Well I’ve only been in my yard so I used what I had. I have a garden trowel as well. But I think I want one of those short serrated shovels that make it easy to remove a clean plug. My brother owns 86 acres just up the road and just past him is a friends 200 acre farm so I don’t see myself in a park anytime soon. Bonus they both have old cellar holes and barn sites!
I also use a shovel in my own yard, .... because... well its easier ha ha ha ..
But never in the field unless we are in a plowed field or woods or a construction site that is already dug up..
We (my partner and I) normally carry a shovel just in case we run across an open area we can use it at, but never a park or schoolyard...
BUT I have seen other guys carrying around those long handled diggers and small long handled shovels and just have to ask how they don't get arrested or told off ?

From things I've seen, a trowel can make just as big a mess as a shovel, and a shovel can be as unobtrusive as a trowel.
I absolutely agree with this statement, BUT.... the visuals are different... Someone sees me carrying a hand trowel or a BIG shovel... who do you think they are going to tell off ?
I can dig a circle hole with a shovel and put it back and you can't see it, and my trowel will leave a mess... ha ha ha
But visually it just looks wrong digging in a park with a shovel..
And here its not ILEGAL to hunt in the parks... so I don't know where you are.. so sorry for that..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back