New MDing buddy and silver half

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Well, slow sweeper got ahold of me, it turns out we live in the same Oregon town, and we got together for a hunt today. We hunted two schools and an overflow parking area for a sports field. Funny thing is, we went to two old schools in hopes of finding silver and we didn't. Then we went to the parking lot to find newer pocket spill coins (get the coin count up a bit). Well it turns out that I found my older coins there. Found an area against the back fence that had older brass, copper and iron trash so I scanned a little harder. I got a signal on my xlt bouncing between .50 and 1.00, yea right. Well I dig down and find black (there had been a fire in this small spot), and down in the hole I see the reeded edge of a large black coin. It's a 1960 Franklin half. It has a little fire damage, but its my first in many years, so I like it. Also found a 1950 wheat. Gotta go back to this spot soon. The pick of the half is pre-cleaning. I will post pic of after cleaning later. All in all we had a pretty good day, 60 degrees, sunny (after mornig mist) new detecting buddy and my first hald dollar in years. The ring says 18k ep (electroplate), 1000 peso coin, 1 penny from???, 30 something pennies, 10 quarters, and ten dimes. No nickles, and I do dig the nickle- pulltab readings, must have been a fluke.

Attachments

• finds00000 002.jpg
    finds00000 002.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 191
  • finds00000 003.jpg
    finds00000 003.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 192
  • finds00000 004.jpg
    finds00000 004.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 191
Upvote 0
? ? ?Funny thing. Fifteen minutes before he walked over to show me the half I saw smoke coming from his direction. I thought he was cooking lunch!
? ? ?Seriously, we had a good time. Within four feet from where we first met on the school yard he found like six quarters!
? ? ?My daily count wasn't quite as good. 13 pennies, 1 nickel, 7 dimes, 12 quarters, and a $2.00 Canadian coin that I think is made out of aluminum.
? ? ?All in all though it was a pretty decent half day of detecting. Sure beat pulling weeds.

Sounds like you are ON TARGET now. You will have a good advantage hunting in the big cities area. A lot more population there to loose stuff. Keep it up & thanks for the nice pix. Spotz ( by Pendleton )

Nice hunt, those silver half dollars are special! Hope it cleans up nice for you. Was the fire out when you detected it, LOL! HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back