New Guy

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Hello Everyone,

I've been metal detecting almost a year now and I would like to know if what I've found so far is good average or better then normal.

To date I've found 1 diamond ring 1/3k. 7 gold wedding bands,10 0z of asst 925 silver jewlery, $1100.00 in clad
several tokens and junk rings totaling 155.

I'm using a $100.00 dollar Bounty Hunter and I'm thinking about getting a Lobo for nugget hunting any thoughts about that detector for nugget hunting?

Onion
? ?

Upvote 0
Very good for your first year! I definetly did't find THAT much clad! but i did find alot o clad!any good coin finds yet? and where are u hunting? HH CS

Sounds like a whole lot better than average to me.In regards to coin_saver's question as to" where are you hunting?" I will take it a step further and ask you ;What types of areas are you hunting?Unless your hunting everyday for several hours a day,and hunting several different locations with high traffic for repetitive clad finds,that just sounds like an awful lot,or an awful lot of luck!At any rate welcome and H.H. and H.H.(happy hunting and happy holidays)

Hello Dig,

I hunt parks and schools most of the time. We have alot of parks in my area to hunt and several schools 100plus.

My detecting started in my front yard i found $3.50 in clad in twenty minutes! I was hooked for life from there!

I soon found that I ave. $1.00 an hour but that goes up and down so I would say I have about 1000 to 1100 hours logged.

I boosted my totals one day I hunted a new school to me and there was so much clad in the play ground I rarely got off my knees total in four days was $102.75 total hunt time was about 8 hours. I go back to that school every two weeks a it produces about 5 bucks in clad.

I forgot to mention I now have 2 oz of gold jewlery ranging from 10 to 18 k after the assy I should have about an oz of gold.

My year is up Dec 26th that's the day I got my detector. I plan to do better next year being that I know have some experence detecting.

Onion

I'd say your off to one heck of a good start...
All that clad, your wearing me out ;D
I've been detecting a little over 5 months and haven't found anywhere near that much...$58 in clad
14 silver coins, and only 4 rings, oh, ya, and a sterling silver cross, I can't forget about it,, it's my favorite...
I may have to start thinking about dig'n more ???
Good Luck with your next year,

Hello XLT,

Do you really think I need a new detector?

This year I'm starting a new hobby nugget hunting hopefully i will find enough nuggets to pay for the detector.

I have tried an MXT for three days and took it back because the detecting I do I found it to sensitive and it lied all the time.

I would use it for relic hunting but that's about it.

Onion

Hey onionhead,,,
I'm using one of the new Fishers CZ-3D.
It seems to work great, I just don't think there that much left in the parks around here...
Looking for some new places to hunt...

Welcome Onion Head,
Actually you have done great! I live in a very small town in East TX. I track all my finds on an Excel spreadsheet. I hunted a total of 43 times for 2004 with an average of about 1 to 2 hrs each time and my totals are only $74.96 total clads, 12 wheats, 1 mercury dime, 1 class ring, 1 silver ring, 1 69 caliber bullet and assorted tokens, toys etc. so I would say you are way ahead of the game. Also concerning the mxt...all machines have a learning curve, some longer than others. I started out with a BH but bought a DFX later this year. I was very frustrated at first but once I learned its quirks, I more than doubled my total finds. So just hang in there and give whichever machine you decide to purchase time and you will find they all work with you once you learn them. Anyway welcome to the greatest hobby on earth and good luck in 05.

MR Mark 8) ;D

Onionhead, where on Earth are you hunting out there in Denver, at the mint, lol? I've been at it with my BH Pioneer 101 for about a month now, and I also track my finds with Excel. I'm up around $10.00 in clad, no jewelry except junk, and found my first older coin, a 1951D wheatie just yesterday! I'd say your first year score is EXCELLENT! I am saving for a Whites Prizm III or IV, but in the meantime, my BH is doing good! Sounds like your is just fine as well. Good luck, and send some of those clads and rings out to RI, will ya? HH!

WELCOME ONIONHEAD ......Thats alot of great finds.
As you have proved... you do not need a "HIGH $ Detector"
to enjoy this great hobby.. Remember to share your finds with
all of us. Post your pictures..... even the not so good finds.
That way , we get to be part of the hunt. GOOD LUCK & HH
BRINK

I have been using a White's Prizm 3 since May 25. I quit last week due to the arrival of winter, so call it 6 1/2 months. My finds are: 2 gold wedding bands (14k), 1 gold (plated?) kids ring, 11 sterling silver rings (maybe one ounce total), 5 silver dimes (3 mercs, 2 rosies), about 25 wheats, 2 1941 nickels, and $146.24 in clad. I thought this was pretty good until I saw your finds. You've paid for your detector 11 times over in clad alone! I hope to have mine paid for sometime next year. I've probably spent 150-200 hours hunting and I also hunt mainly schools and parks. You've definitely motivated me to get out more next year.

Hello everyone,

I don't have a ditial camera yet I hope to get one for x-mas and if I do I will post my finds.

Since I have started this hobby I have set goals for myself when I go out I try to find $2.00 dollars a day if you hunt everyday like I try to do that's a minumum of $730.00 a year. I wasn't able to hunt everyday but I was able to go out quite alot I seem to be ave. about $3.50 in clad the days I have hunted.

The reason I don't use high dollar detectors is because I don't want to spend 10 minutes to unearth a dime 10 inches down old or not. The park and schools don't like it and it helps to keep the parks and schools open to detecting without all this deep holes being dug all over the park.

It seems that cheaper detectors work better in trashy areas better then the higher end units anyway.

My theroy is if you want to detect your local parks and schools use a cheap detector if you want to relic hunt buy the High end models DFX, XLT,MXT ext...

I can buy alot of old coins for 1100.00 bucks athough it's fun to find them I find it more rewarding to find modern clad and to go on a free vacation.

Onion

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back