New from NC

Engineering

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2024
New here from the Raleigh, NC Area.

I have no idea what i am doing but my 8 year old is interested in detecting and I am looking for a way to bond with him a bit (i have been having trouble connecting with him).

We took his $80 amazon special out to the colonial pipeline easement right next to our house and pulled out these gems:

Image (3).jpg

Its not the buried pirate treasure chest he was picturing but to him it was almost as exciting.

We are headed to the beach in 2 weeks. SO naturally i went out and spent a bunch on a Manticore, Garrett Carrot and beach scoops etc... My other kids will get a kick out of digging up and pinpointing the targets. Fun will be had by all.

I have been lurking for a few weeks now, so thanks for all the info, its been very helpful.

I am also going to try to use it to "map" out my sprinkler system wires... i have a break somewhere and i am hoping this could help me locate/minimize the digging. It could potentially pay for the equipment if i don't have to have someone come out and dig up my yard (at least that's what i told my wife)

Bury a couple targets in close park, coins whatever and return with him and help him find them.

Welcome !
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Bury a couple targets in close park, coins whatever and return with him and help him find them.
I got into this hobby for very similar reasons…..both to spend time with kids outside and to teach them about history. Mine were 3 and 5 when I started so I carried a pocket full of pennies with me when we went and when they weren’t looking tossed a few on the ground. If you don’t catch/keep interest early they will (at least mine) not wish to do it again.

Welcome aboard. I don't think you could have picked a better hobby to do with the kids and I applaud your efforts. While it sometimes seems like they will never grow up...they will and you will wish their childhood had lasted many more years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back