New Finds / Tips Etc.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all - lots of great new finds these past few weeks. We've been hitting the gold pretty good at garage sales, estate sales, and flea markets. Even managed one of those award pendants at a thrift store (these are the ones with the gold filled medallions and the solid gold plankets on top).

Pictured below are some recent finds to make this post worth reading! Lalique bird, sterling watch chains, gulf cans, rosary that just brought $55.00 on ebay (ebony), civil defense corps sterling button.

Also - here are the tips I've come up with: Texas Instruments Scientific calculators sell very well. As long as they are scientific calculators they all seem to do well. The best are the newer ones TI-83PLUS etc and the much older ones (which are now collectible). Unmarked 14K gold earrings --- they were apparently sold in pharmacies in the 50's and 60's. Then to be very small and very light (1g per pair) but they seem to be everywhere now that I am looking for them). Denby china -- check the hot patterns on ebay --- these sell very, very well --- Castile seems to be moving nicely. Finally --- most 14K gold pen nibs made in the U.S. that were for the domestic market on not marked 14K. I've come across two now that I'm looking for them.

Good luck to all in your hunts! With the fall underway here we'll be spending more time with the metal detector than at the sales.

Attachments

• IMAG0001.jpg
    IMAG0001.jpg
    763.9 KB · Views: 99
  • lalique.JPG
    lalique.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Penna.JPG
    Penna.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 85
  • watch 1.JPG
    watch 1.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 83
  • rosary.JPG
    rosary.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 96
Nice finds. What kind of Gulf cans did you find? I hit a pretty good lick on the gold and silver last 2 weekends myself, including (but not limited to- lol) an 18k 10.3 gram whopper and a Boy Scout Eagle Scout Award (sterling). I like the Lalique ring bowl. I've yet to find a piece at an actual garage sale, but i'm always looking. I've got a collection of Catholic stuff, including several Rosaries I haven't listed yet along with a couple relics (wish I had the cert. of auth. on those). I recently found a pair of tiny 14k ladybug earrings where you can only read the mark on the posts if you have at least a 12x loupe, you sure yours aren't marked there? Thanks for the tip on the nibs, don't see too many fountains, but i'll keep it in mind. Good luck.

Randazzo, your posts are always refreshing to read. Thanks for the contributions. I will have to look harder for the unmarked gold, as I have never come across gold that wasn't marked.

Randazzo, your posts are always refreshing to read. Thanks for the contributions. I will have to look harder for the unmarked gold, as I have never come across gold that wasn't marked.

I did, once... Antique Master Mason's Fob

mason fob1 (1).jpgmason fob 2.jpg

Nice finds. What kind of Gulf cans did you find? I hit a pretty good lick on the gold and silver last 2 weekends myself, including (but not limited to- lol) an 18k 10.3 gram whopper and a Boy Scout Eagle Scout Award (sterling). I like the Lalique ring bowl. I've yet to find a piece at an actual garage sale, but i'm always looking. I've got a collection of Catholic stuff, including several Rosaries I haven't listed yet along with a couple relics (wish I had the cert. of auth. on those). I recently found a pair of tiny 14k ladybug earrings where you can only read the mark on the posts if you have at least a 12x loupe, you sure yours aren't marked there? Thanks for the tip on the nibs, don't see too many fountains, but i'll keep it in mind. Good luck.

Thanks Diggumup. The Gulf cans are little tiny cans that were apparently used as banks - "Guldpride". They didn't bring to much on ebay but they were something like .25 cents at the sale. I was really hoping they would be more valuable. Eagle scout medal is an awesome find. The gold earrings are totally unmarked. I dropped them under a stereoscope to be absolutely certain. The first batch I came across were still on the original cardboard cards embossed 14K. The seller even told me they were gold. After testing them to confirm, I searched for like 10 solid minutes for a mark under the loupe and then the scope - nothing. Kind of weird, right? Now I look out for them and have found several singles and pairs in junk bins at garage and estate sales. Some of them are GF tops with 14K posts. They work great for small batch refining (which is something we have only just gotten into -- with mixed results).

Thanks Jerseyben. There is a small jersey coalition on here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back