Need some help dating this old salt shaker

Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need some help dating this salt shaker I found in a dump near my house a couple weeks ago. It has a big piece missing from the base which is probably why they threw it away in the frost place. It also has some damage on the ring on the neck and the top. Most of the things from the part of the dump I found this in are turn of the 20 C but I have found a couple older things so you never know. Probably not something special but thought I post it just in case. Anyways, any help is greatly appreciated! image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Generally, these are known as "muffineers". They have multiple uses. These are Victorian examples:

Muffineers.jpg

Upvote 0
So I posted a pic of it on Facebook and an antiques appraiser/dealer said that it was the Leeds patter. I looked it up and they were write! Has the same blue pattern that mine does. She also said that it was an early piece. They didn’t want to buy it so I am taking there word for it but they very well could be wrong or not true. I could not find an exact match but there are some that are similar. Just google “Leeds muffineers”. Again, nothing exact but some are close.

Upvote 0
[FONT=&quot]A slightly similar piece was described as an "English Leeds blue feather edge pepper pot (shaker) with snowflake top, ca 1810-20. Feather Edge is a period term used by English potters and American importers for common creamware items with an embossed "comma-like" rim design, which was commonly colored blue, green, and red. The term is used in pattern books published by Wedgwood, Leeds, Castleford and the Don Pottery. Leeds pottery was made at Leeds, Yorkshire, England, from 1774 to 1878. Most Leeds ware was not marked and was exported to many areas of the world, especially to the United States and Holland."
Source: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/english-leeds-pottery-blue-feather-1836603857
Don.....

[/FONT]

Upvote 0
[FONT="]A slightly similar piece was described as an "English Leeds blue feather edge pepper pot (shaker) with snowflake top, ca 1810-20. Feather Edge is a period term used by English potters and American importers for common creamware items with an embossed "comma-like" rim design, which was commonly colored blue, green, and red. The term is used in pattern books published by Wedgwood, Leeds, Castleford and the Don Pottery. Leeds pottery was made at Leeds, Yorkshire, England, from 1774 to 1878. Most Leeds ware was not marked and was exported to many areas of the world, especially to the United States and Holland."
Source: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/english-leeds-pottery-blue-feather-1836603857
Don.....

[/FONT]

I have seen this one. Definitely similar. I would be really happy if it’s that old!

Upvote 0
That's a great looking piece, sounds like you've got an I.D. on it as well. :thumbsup:
I'd love to find a complete example some day.
Dave

Upvote 0
Need some help dating this salt shaker I found in a dump near my house a couple weeks ago. It has a big piece missing from the base which is probably why they threw it away in the frost place. It also has some damage on the ring on the neck and the top. Most of the things from the part of the dump I found this in are turn of the 20 C but I have found a couple older things so you never know. Probably not something special but thought I post it just in case. Anyways, any help is greatly appreciated!View attachment 1936068View attachment 1936069View attachment 1936070View attachment 1936071View attachment 1936072
There is a salt and pepper museum in Gatlinburg Tennessee that might can help you.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back