Need ID on touch marks please

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found my first trade silver this year, 6, possibly seven pieces. Narcisse Roy has been identified on a large brooch, but I don't know about the marks on my smaller brooch. What I see is a stamping of a heart with a cross in it, a separate stamping is rectangular and it reads to me : I W, or if flipped, M I. The letters are quite separated so I suspect initials. I'll try to put up pics but I'm unfamiliar with this format.
I just found four more pieces today after posting this, including another large Narcisse Roy brooch. (tractor damaged though).

Attachments

• IMG_2316.JPG
    IMG_2316.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_2329.JPG
    IMG_2329.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 572
Upvote 0
IW: unknown maker.

See Covenant Chain, p. 121.
Lorraine Cross,
Mark IW
Unknown maker
Heye Foundation

I would say this is a significant find, and the associated NR pieces help fix it in time.

What river are you near?

M. Hamilton (silver in the fur trade) suggests "I.W." to possibly be John Wood (circa 1782).
Says he was "Associated with for trade silversmith Narcisse Roy. Seems that this could be a possibility, especially with the NR silver being found at the same site.

Barbeau (1940) gives dates for Roy as 1801-1806, but DCBO say he had finished his apprenticeship by 1786. He died in 1814.

Haven't figured out if he is a relative of mine or not. :dontknow:

I drew up a rough sketch of the other marks on this same piece. It was plow folded and I was afraid of snapping it. I'm taking all pieces to a jewelers this winter for straightening out. I suspect this piece to be English, but I really don't know.

Attachments

• IMG_2340.JPG
    IMG_2340.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_2341.JPG
    IMG_2341.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_2342.JPG
    IMG_2342.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_2343.JPG
    IMG_2343.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 476
OK I'm not great with silver marks, but I do know if they don't match exactly, they aren't a match. These are Brit style marks, but I can't find the city mark that matches the heart/cross. The Y is a year mark, and the head is the Geo. III duty mark. The only year mark that I could find that was exactly the same was Edinburgh, but your city mark isn't.

It's possible these are pseudo marks. I know they were common in the U.S. ... Canada maybe. So IW would be the maker, and he dressed up his stuff with a bunch of made up marks. That would be illegal in England but not Canada.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back