Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this at my 1600s mill site a couple weeks ago, and finally finished up the electrolysis work on it. I posted this before right after I first dug it, and a couple posters complimented me on a nice "axe". But this can't be an axe based on how it's made. I would think it's more in line with a splitter or chisel of some sort. Can anyone definitively ID this piece? Thanks.

Attachments

• splitter1a.JPG
    splitter1a.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 162
  • splitter1b.JPG
    splitter1b.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 126
Are you near any boat building history?I spent a summer volunteering on a vintage boat building project.I have seen and actually used a tool looked JUST like that.It was for tapping in the caulk material between hull planks.Had a special name cant remember...perhaps caulking iron.here are some I found...close...but yours is pretty much it.....

caulking irob.jpg

Upvote 0
Are you near any boat building history?I spent a summer volunteering on a vintage boat building project.I have seen and actually used a tool looked JUST like that.It was for tapping in the caulk material between hull planks.Had a special name cant remember...perhaps caulking iron.here are some I found...close...but yours is pretty much it.....

View attachment 784515

Bigfoot1,

The term you're looking for is called "chinking", one would chink the space/gap between the wooden planks, usually using oakum (a tarred fiber, usually in a loose rope form), but caulking is also a term used when chinking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakum

Drev_och_drevj%C3%A4rn_samt_tr%C3%A4klubba_004.jpg

I also think it could be a chinking tool.

Now-a-days other than on an old boat, modern chinking tools are mostly used for chinking log cabins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
AU....thanks...it was oakum...and the tool was called a chinker...you nailed it.Aging is not for wussies....lol

Upvote 0
Just my observation. It does resemble the chinking tools, but Bill's appears to be open at the top as if a pole/rod went inside it. The shape of the blade (if that is what it is) is also a little different shape than the chinking tools. Bill, does it look like either of the sides were sharpened or just the bottom?

Upvote 0
tom...there is a reason it may be,"hollow"at the striking end....they were made that way.It was by sound that you moved ahead.

Upvote 0
tom...there is a reason it may be,"hollow"at the striking end....they were made that way.It was by sound that you moved ahead.

I should clarify....the one I encountered had a wood inset with a brass cap....the hammer was like these in photo....the instructor would say things like,"proper ring"to indicate that another piece of oakum was not needed.I cant find one with said cap yet,but I do remember it.anything possible as this was nearly 35 yrs ago.simply my best guess.

chinking hammer.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back