need help

npquilm

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2006
I am not sure if these are anything at all. I found them in a small creek bed in Maddison County Illinois. Actually I would call it a gully but I am not sure if that is a regional term. Anyhow they seem to have been worked. The smaller one is smooth on one side and seems it was not napped at all. The larger one appears to have never been sharpended on both edges. I think that maybe they are scrapers and larger one may be a preform as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nathan

Attachments

• 100_6846.jpg
    100_6846.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 227
  • 100_6847.jpg
    100_6847.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 225
  • 100_6848.jpg
    100_6848.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 220
Upvote 0
They sure look "injun" to me. The larger appears to be a small knife or preform, the smaller some type of end scraper. That gully looks promising, you need to check it out more closely.

Atlantis

These artifacts look to be scrapers for sure. I would start looking for the arrowheads and spear points now, as points and tools usually turn up in the same areas....although they may be made of different materials. I have many scrapers and they look just like the ones you have and most have lead to better finds.

Heres a few scrapers I found. As you can see they come in all shapes, colors and sizes.

Attachments

• 112_1230.JPG
    112_1230.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 231
Small one looks to be a nice "thumbnail" or "end" scraper. Larger piece looks more like a rough knife- the edge looks to jagged to be a scraper. Could be a preform or unfinished piece of sorts. There's no doubt that it's worth looking around that area more, I'm sure there's more to be found- wait for a good rain and get out there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back