✅ SOLVED Need help with unknown item

bayou6895

Dec 23, 2012
Central, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, ACE 350
unk 2.JPGunk  1.JPG

I bet your correct on the tea strainer..this pic is same ideauploadfromtaptalk1402417079684.jpg

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Sink drain strainer basket.

Upvote 0
If it's a tea strainer something seems missing that keeps the entire thing from going into the water, the loose tea would float out. (maybe it's a hand held kidney stone strainer...eek!)

Upvote 0
It kinda depends on how deep it is, I have one that is open on top, but hooks on side of cup..maybe the handle serves that purpose..beats me! :)

Upvote 0
It doesn't float out, cause you put the strainer with tea in it, in a cup, then pour water down in it..then it becomes weighted down, to some extent..

Upvote 0
I wonder if it isn't something related to camping gear, maybe lantern part or camp stove part?

Upvote 0
First of all, based on the construction, the handle is designed to lift the inverted cup with holes
Not a strainer - just the opposite, flip it over, the holes are meant to be on top, creating a cap of sorts
this looks to be a cap of some sort, for gas flame? A flame diffuser?
I like the idea of a camping item, gas lamp?
BradyBoy

Upvote 0
any marks of any kind?
Looks somewhat modern due to the design
May want to look at coleman lanterns - parts
Brady

Upvote 0
When I first saw it my first impression was some type of flame diffuser. I agree with bradyboy.
Also the handle seems to be somewhat long. Possibly to keep the users hand away from a flame??

Upvote 0
I keep thinking it is a strainer for kerosene lanterns.

if you every dealt with it, water collects and gums up the works. (used that for lites as a kid.)

Upvote 0
I agree with bradyboy also. The basket would be up-side-down if the bail was used as a handle. It doesn't look like a handle anyway considering the shape and design. I'm thinking it is a retainer of some sort. The basket would mount on something and the bail would swing over the top of that something and snap in a groove, holding the perforated cup in place....kinda like an old style brake master cylinder lid. As for it's purpose? Filter? Drain? :dontknow:

Upvote 0
it may be part of an early gas lamp.It would have been covered with a mantle like this...moGAu_CpEjNs_Lneis-4myg.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back