Need Help With Small Token-Also Belt Buckle

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Tools Little Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Another visit to the cut field near an old homestead site yielded a couple more keepers. This is the field where I dug the 1803 LC a little while ago. I dug what I originally thought was a flat button at 7" but it turned out to be some kind of trade token. At only 3/4" in diameter it is the smallest I have ever seen. On the front it reads "Good For 25 In Trade" and the back has the number "2882". I checked the on line token catalogue site, but couldn't find anything like this. Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

Also, along with a horse tack buckle I dug a nice early belt buckle. Any help on dating this belt buckle would be welcomed.

Thanks for your help and thanks for looking.

IMG_1240.JPG IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1242.JPG

Upvote 0
I have no idea what they are, but can say nice finds, like the token.

I have no idea what they are, but can say nice finds, like the token.

Thanks Joe. I have actually found another belt buckle similar to this one (but without the tine) at another site about 1/2 mile from this site. The bar is attached slightly different in the back and the points are not quite so pointy on the other one. The token may be just an unidentifiable generic one, but I figured I would put out there to our fellow TH'ers.

tokencatalog.com actually has a lot of "numbers only" tokens, but the majority of them are 5¢ and you have to search by the number. This sort of thing is one of the mysteries of the token hobby, but my theory is that the number represents a particular vendor or route number. The tokens were used as payouts on slot machines that took nickels or quarters and paid out in tokens which were supposedly only to be redeemed by the business where the slot machine was located. There are some more lengthy explanations on the Tokens & Tags forum, but the bottom line is that the key to figuring out which numbers were used where has yet to be found.
John in the Great 208

tokencatalog.com actually has a lot of "numbers only" tokens, but the majority of them are 5¢ and you have to search by the number. This sort of thing is one of the mysteries of the token hobby, but my theory is that the number represents a particular vendor or route number. The tokens were used as payouts on slot machines that took nickels or quarters and paid out in tokens which were supposedly only to be redeemed by the business where the slot machine was located. There are some more lengthy explanations on the Tokens & Tags forum, but the bottom line is that the key to figuring out which numbers were used where has yet to be found.
John in the Great 208

Thanks for the response and information IT. I missed the numbers only section in the catalog, I will re-visit it and also check out the forum you referenced. I figured this would be a hard one to pin down.

Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back