Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I know now how hard it is when You "See" something on a coin and then take a picture of it and it just doesnt look the same.

Anyway,

Went out hunting this past weekend and found this coin/token/round thingy and figured it might be something, but nothing I have seen before.

I have been cleaning it (soaking in oil) since the day I found it. I swear I keep seeing things on it, but you know how that goes.

So first thought was it may be a smoothed Large Cent. Its the same size and a tad under its weight.

I also can sorta see a Bust on it and what looks like a headband and hair. The one thing I know for sure is on there is either part of a "3" or an "8"

It just seems like the bust is a little different than the LC

I swear I haven't started drinking yet haha. Sorry for the redundant pics

Do you guys see what I see?

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• Mystery Coin.jpg
    Mystery Coin.jpg
    915.3 KB · Views: 148
  • Mysterycoin1.jpg
    Mysterycoin1.jpg
    879.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_3047.JPG
    IMG_3047.JPG
    917.8 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I think I see the wreath on the back but then again, now that you mention it I do think I see the hair.

Upvote 0
Try using the shadow method. Take a bright light in a darker room, hold the coin so it's facing you and shine the light from the edges of the coin..this method helped me identify a super toasted King George copper. You'll probably never get a date but you may be able identify the coin with a little research

Upvote 0
I will try the shadow method. Only thing about a King George is that the Bust looks like its left facing with a date directly below. I keep thinkin a Large Cent, but the bust seems a little off. Not sure what else to research to find a coin the size of a large cent. I got it soaking and will check it daily lol.

Upvote 0
Try a few drops of heavy cream . See if anything shows up.

Upvote 0
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449706628.803765.jpgheavy cream will help ident.
You will have to remove the oil deposits for it to work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yupp. I heat until it just starts to boil and then drop the coin in. You'll know when to reheat or change solution when the object stops bubbling

Upvote 0
Yeah I've had good results with the peroxide treatment.... you may have to re heat it a few times, or actually change it out if it gets too funky

Do I heat up the perioxide and then add the coin? Or do i actually start cooking the coin? Sorry if I sound ignorant, Most coins I find are the typical silver finds and nothing this worn or toasted.

Upvote 0
Definitely don't put it in the microwave with the coin in already unless you're prepared to be in a lot of trouble with the wife or girlfriend.... Also watch out when you take it out it get's really hot and it's pretty nasty if you get some on you. I found that out the hard way......

Upvote 0
Definitely don't put it in the microwave with the coin in already unless you're prepared to be in a lot of trouble with the wife or girlfriend.... Also watch out when you take it out it get's really hot and it's pretty nasty if you get some on you. I found that out the hard way......

haha I do know better then putting metal in a microwave.. Learned that one early on as a kid.

Thanks for the heads up!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back