NEED HELP WITH I. D. of WATCH FOB FROM ARK. FOUND TODAY IN Mn.

PRAIRIEWOLF

Jun 26, 2005
MINNESOTA

Attachments

• EAGLE LUMBER FRONTB.jpg
    EAGLE LUMBER FRONTB.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 608
  • EAGLE LUMBER BACKB.jpg
    EAGLE LUMBER BACKB.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 570
Upvote 4
What tripped my trigger on this in the first place was the history I had just read on a location around 400 yards from where I found this fob . Between 1849 and 1853 There was a surveyor for the Minnesota Territory laying out the Dubuque Trail between Dubuque Iowa and St. Paul Minnesota . He had picked this spot out as a perfect site for a Lumber and Grist Mill and had them up and running by 1853 . But , he also had a 2 year contract with the company developing the Dubuque Trail to to clear timber for the road . The property owner had also just pointed out to me that the wagon road that lead down to the ferry crossing above the mill pond was 20 yards from where the fob ended up being found . This could all be a coincidence unless the Eagle Lumber Co. was was making early scouting trips into the Minnesota Territory in search of yellow or white pine timber . I have salvaged yellow pine from late 1800's barns but was told that yellow pine was extinct in Minnesota .

I probably walked right over it. ;D
Really nice fob!

Well, certainly that would explain how the fob got there...perhaps someone was journeying from Eagle Mills to Cloquet Lumber Co. for business purposes and lost it.

Very old thread, but I just picked up one exactly like it today - all original with original leather strap still there. Two points:

1. The mother of pearl tag IS original to the fob, mine has one exactly like it with the same name and same date, all engraved by hand.

2. The date is not 1922 on the mother of pearl tag, it is "92" as in 1892.

Whats amazing to me about this is that I live 7 miles from Fordyce and about 23 miles from Eagle Mills and metal detect in those two places and Camden also. Warbaby, lets see a picture of your fob. Did you buy it for a collection or did you find it somewhere? When I get Great Grampaws pocket watch back from being cleaned and repaired I'm going to start wearing when I get all gussied up and am interested in watch fobs from the era the watch was made in which was 1900 or so...d2

Whats amazing to me about this is that I live 7 miles from Fordyce and about 23 miles from Eagle Mills and metal detect in those two places and Camden also. Warbaby, lets see a picture of your fob. Did you buy it for a collection or did you find it somewhere? When I get Great Grampaws pocket watch back from being cleaned and repaired I'm going to start wearing when I get all gussied up and am interested in watch fobs from the era the watch was made in which was 1900 or so...d2

Sorry, just saw your reply. I will try and get some photos of it up today. I bought it at auction, with some other items.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back