Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this a few years ago at a site that gave up a bunch of colonial silver, but could never get an ID. Its about the size of a dime, and I think it may be spanish in origin. I don't think its old enough to be hammered as most of the other finds at the site were generally in the mid-to-late 1700s. I'm sure someone will readily recognize it. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 122609c.jpg
    122609c.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 122609d.jpg
    122609d.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I remember this one :) There is so little to go on...

Here just a guess. I was thinking maybe it was a "II" and "DV" for "DVC" (Duke) and came up with this Charles II French States Double Tournois though this would be early for your site. It is sized close to a dime - maybe a tad bigger. And there are a number of variations and varieties.

Attachments

• charlesIIdoubletournois.JPG
    charlesIIdoubletournois.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0
I remember this one :) There is so little to go on...

Here just a guess. I was thinking maybe it was a "II" and "DV" for "DVC" (Duke) and came up with this Charles II French States Double Tournois though this would be early for your site. It is sized close to a dime - maybe a tad bigger. And there are a number of variations and varieties.

That is actually my guess as well, just didn't post it. I always thought it looked like a Double Tournois, and seeing it yesterday was no different, and knowing how many different coins were issued from the French states I figured if it didn't match one of the more common type Doubles we see, it was probably a state coin.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back