Need help with artist

There were, and probably still are, many artists who painted "on the fence " in Jackson Square in the French Qtr. for the tourist trade. If you come across one signed W W Dawley, I'd be interested in it, I sublet a room from him back in 77 , he's dead now.

Upvote 0
That is Royal St. in New Orleans.

On closer inspection it "has elements" of Royal St - Court of Two Sisters and Royal Tea Room signs. The Creole Shop is on Saint Peter and Maison De Ville is on Toulouse in the Quarter. So I would consider this one an artist's interpretation.

As Bruce stated, they sell 100's or 1000's of these every year from the art shops and in Jackson's Square in The French Quarter.

I have one hanging in my house. It is Rue Chartres at Dusk.

DCMatt

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe Joseph Lane shortened to Joe Lane?

Upvote 0
Shame he died, he was cool. He rented me the back room of his apt. for 15 bucks, gave me a safe place to crash during Mardi Gras. I met him at the Alpine in Jan. of 77 , He was living on Rue Royal , just down the street from the Cornstalk and almost directly from Brennan's. He would use his slide projector to put photos of the Fr. Qtr. Up on his canvasses and then trace the outlines with a pencil. He'd do 4 or 5 of these a night and then take them to the fence and color them in while all the tourists were around. Walt actually knew David Bowie personally from his time in Sante Fe. I haven't thought about this stuff in years, nice memories.

Upvote 0
Pretty cool Bruce glad to bring back some good thoughts

Upvote 0
Yeah Man, thanks. I used to have a sketch Walt did of me and this "way too intense " chick I was partying with. I had like a hundred of those strings of Mardi Gras beads around my neck.

Upvote 0
Here is your artist - Tom Lane (1916 - 1991)

tom lane.JPG

Upvote 0
Some history about the artist:
Tom Lane, who worked for more than 30 years in the French Quarter in New Orleans, was born in Toledo, Ohio on June 7, 1916 and died in New Orleans, LA on October 7, 1991. Known best as a French Quarter artist, he worked primarily in watercolors capturing the local flavor of the Crescent City. His French Quarter street scenes are in numerous private collections throughout the United States, and in Germany, France and England and are eagerly sought out by collectors.
Don......

Upvote 0
Thanks so much guys you guys are awesome

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back