75.6 KB · Views: 119
  • turned resized.jpg
    turned resized.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 143
  • back resized.jpg
    back resized.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0
Thanks Surf! Looks similar to these kinds of rings. I can't imagine there was any activity in this area in the 1600s, but this area was "chartered" in the 1760s or so. But maybe it dates to the 1700s?

Great find, that, testing123! What was the 17th Century Jesuit presence like in your area? It sure does resemble a Jesuit trade ring to my eyes.

See this older thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/f...uit-ring-along-couple-more-today-s-finds.html

See: Jesuit Rings from Michilimackinac and Other European Contact Sites

Upvote 0
Hello testing123,

The First Mission was up your way at Penobscot Bay in 1609. The Jesuits worked fiercely to "save the souls" of the Huron and Iroquois peoples. It's 130 miles from Penobscot Bay to Portsmouth. The Quebec Mission came in 1625, so they had you bracketed.

Upvote 0
Thanks Surf!

Can't argue with that! These rings were probably around, but having it from the 1700s would make the most sense, which seems perfectly feasible.

Hello testing123,

The First Mission was up your way at Penobscot Bay in 1609. The Jesuits worked fiercely to "save the souls" of the Huron and Iroquois peoples. It's 130 miles from Penobscot Bay to Portsmouth. The Quebec Mission came in 1625, so they had you bracketed.

Upvote 0
Honestly.... it looks like a vintage bubblegum machine ring.

Upvote 0
Honestly.... it looks like a vintage bubblegum machine ring.
I'm no authority on the subject so I can't say whether it is or isn't a Jesuit ring but I do know that they could be considered the "bubblegum machine" ring of the era. Mass produced and cheaply made to be given away by the score.

Upvote 0
I'm no authority on the subject so I can't say whether it is or isn't a Jesuit ring but I do know that they could be considered the "bubblegum machine" ring of the era. Mass produced and cheaply made to be given away by the score.

On some of the reading about the Jesuit rings, it did sound like many were of lower quality. Guess we'll never really know for sure what its age it, but it is older.

Upvote 0
It looks old to me. The motif is what sets it apart from a "bubblegum machine" ring to me. Being brass versus copper or white metal would be another indicator. I would think. I'm hoping it's a trade ring (Jesuit) myself. Only thing I'm unsure of is the construction of it and whether or not it is typical for the trade rings of that era. Maybe someone with some know how will chime in. Cool find regardless.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back