4.4.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 5.5.jpg
    5.5.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 79
  • 6.6.jpg
    6.6.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 78
Any story with this? Where did you get it?

It looks like Arabic. The middle looks like it my be a chart of numbers. Someone's engineering homework or research?

What ever it is, it was unfolded and refolded a lot.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I doubt its homework lol, its 1 of 5, I have had it for over 20 years, and have posted it in various websites and have asked some College friends in Middle Eastern Studies to get any info, but in the end it goes back in my safe till I happen to come bye it...
Along with the paper there is a stone head that was also found nearby, I don't know if there is a connection.
The papers were found in a cave in Portugal, vast Moorish activity in the area,
the papers was folded in a 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch square as you can see by the folds on the paper and sown into a potato bag material like old cloth about the same size and then all warped in a leather type animal skin, being young and stupid I got rid of the leather but I do have the cloth bags in a box at my parents, but not on me..

"Also I do post on various other websites so I can gain as much info as possible."

Upvote 0
Since your Middle Eastern folks couldn't read it, perhaps it is some type of Alchemy or the likes.

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
Since your Middle Eastern folks couldn't read it, perhaps it is some type of Alchemy or the likes.

:)
Breezie

Hi.
there are 12 dialects of Arabic and countless regional dialects, we must also consider the various dialects that have been lost in time, from Africa to the Middle East there's an overwhelming difference in Arabic and this is not even including Europe during the Moorish invasions.
Every so often I post this paper to see if I ever get a clue, lets consider this my own enigma that I like to share...

Upvote 0
it is the writing in the middle that is upside down...notice how the writing around the middle is oriented differently....

Upvote 0
it is the writing in the middle that is upside down...notice how the writing around the middle is oriented differently....

I agree - upside down. After I rotated the image some numbers appeared. At least they look like numbers to me.

DCMatt

Attachments

• arabic_chart.jpg
    arabic_chart.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Upvote 0
For reference:

Attachments

• arabic_num_chart.jpg
    arabic_num_chart.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 0
The other characters along with the numbers look like lower case Greek theta and mu.

greekalphabet-mu-6.jpg

greekalphabet-theta-8.jpg
I don't know what fields of study would use those symbols, but that's why I said it looks like someone's research. Sort of scientific...

DCMatt

Upvote 0
no, they are all numerals in the middle....eastern Arabic numerals have a lot of regional variations.

Upvote 0
for instance, the "w" looking thing is a "3"

I considered that. But the size difference and lack of a "tail" made me discount the idea. Also the fact that the symbol appears in every block of the chart made me think it is a descriptive symbol and perhaps not a number.

Any thoughts on the "theta"?

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I have also referenced modern Arabic alphabet but continue to be eluded by many of the characters on the paper, as I have mentioned before I have friends in Arabic Studies and they cant read it either, could it be in Arabic and Greek, a mix of both, remember this is 1 of 5 that was individually wrapped in a burlap material and then wrapped in some sort of animal leather.

Carlos

Upvote 0
Do other pages have a chart on them? Or are they just text.

May we see them? They may provide additional clues.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Theta - In engineering, usually is used to represent angles and thermal resistances.
the Mu symbol looks a lot like μ.
From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farad
One farad is defined as the capacitance of a capacitor across which, when charged with one coulomb of electricity, there is a potential difference of one volt
1 microfarad (μF, or MFD in industrial use) = one millionth (10−6) of a farad, or 1000000 pF, or 1000 nF

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Farsi...Persian....uses an Arabic alphabet......

Upvote 0
there are 2 major different arabic --methods of writing -- Iran based and Iraq based *

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back