Need help on id for a Civil War bullet and a brass CW relic

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is Civil War bullet recently found by one of my detecting buddies. I'm posting for him because he doesn't have a digital camera set up. Our main reason in posting is for help on one of the bullets. No one he's shown it to recognizes it. I've shown it with a ruler for comparision. It is right at 1 1/8 inches long and very close to 1/2 inch in diameter. If anyone knows what it is please let us know. It's right at 56 to 58 caliber in diameter at the base (slightly smashed so couldn't get an exact measurement) and has a concave cavity. The tip has what appears to be a slight teat/nipple. I'm also including pictures of a piece of broken brass plate that I found at another Civil War encampment site. It has a screw hole right where the break is. I'm thinking possibly part of the plate from aroud the trigger area on a gun? Anyone have any ideas on it? Thanks in advance for any help, and Happy Hunting!!

Attachments

• jeffstuff1.jpg
    jeffstuff1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 116
  • 313finds14.jpg
    313finds14.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 313finds15.jpg
    313finds15.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 120
I say post CW. It resembles a .45-70 due to the profile and ring diameter, but the hollow base throws me.....

Upvote 0
The 4570 did have the hollow base for a time .It is .458 in Dia. Osage

Upvote 0
i found this on line ( 4570 test Sandy hook 1879 ) Wild and sad. Good to read on this round.Osage

Upvote 0
Silversweeper wrote:
> It is right at 1 1/8 inches long and very close to 1/2 inch in diameter.

Using the photo for what is called "Proportional Analysis" and your statement that the bullet is 1-&-1/8" long, that "raised-rings" bullet appears to be approximately .45-caliber. There was no pre-1866 bullet which was .45-caliber and 1-&-1/8" long with raised rings on its body.

Silversweeper also wrote:
> it has a concave cavity.

Osage Express is right, the .45-70 rifle bullets (all of which are post-civil-war) did have a "hollow base" -- but their base-cavity had the shape of a shallow bowl... not a cone, as we see in this bullet's base.

The bullet's body shows some significant damage on its sides, which further complicates getting a correct ID for it. That being said, the closest match I can find for it is an 1880s Sharps .44-70 bullet. See the one in the photo below, noting its length in comparison to its width, the long smooth-sided nose, and the raised rings/bands below the long smooth nose.

Attachments

• IndianWars_cartridge_Sharps44-70_1886_bulletandcaseseparated.jpg
    IndianWars_cartridge_Sharps44-70_1886_bulletandcaseseparated.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 0
I have a bullet mold that I cast 420 grain 45-70m bullets that are .459 as cast, sized to .458. They have a hollow cone shaped base. I load them over 55 grains of FFg black powder with a couple of wads between the powder and bullet. it doesn't necessarily date to the 1870's, they are still being shot today.

Upvote 0
First I thought this was a Confederate nose cast that is been carved but looking @ the 1880s sharp that is pin point on!

Attachments

• BU47a.jpg.JPG
    BU47a.jpg.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back