Need help on copper coin and snuff tin

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2
I found these at an old homesite today and cant find anything out about either one. The coin is very small and copper with a bust on one side and some markings on the back.The snuff tin looks to be silver clad with really nice engravings on the front,but no name or identifing markings.Any help would be greatly appreciated!!The pics of the coin arent that great, but the coin isnt in that great a shape either. I will try to get some better ones tomorrow out side in the sunlight.
Thanks!! H.H.

Attachments

• mar.8 snuff box or tin.jpg
    mar.8 snuff box or tin.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 321
  • back of snuff box.jpg
    back of snuff box.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 422
  • front of copper coin.jpg
    front of copper coin.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 317
  • back of copper coin.jpg
    back of copper coin.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 355
  • back of copper coin.jpg
    back of copper coin.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 304
  • front of copper coin.jpg
    front of copper coin.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 321
  • back of snuff box.jpg
    back of snuff box.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 357
  • mar.8 snuff box or tin.jpg
    mar.8 snuff box or tin.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 321
Not sure about the coin but the snuff tin is not a snuff tin but a KARASS WOODWORTH compact complete with mirror and even a little make up still in it!!

Upvote 0
Mike that last coin is a Roman Coin, not too good of shape, but if we get together I would like to see it.
Made in Italy or Europe somewhere...
not worth a whole lot...
but great to find here..
Richard

Upvote 0
Richard....it's good to here from you!! I got your message....Hope you and the mrs are doing well!! I will give ya a call tonight. Maybe we can do some rambling this weekend.. Jus let me know what time is good to call!! Thanks for the info!!!

Upvote 0
Here is a couple better pics of the coin.

Attachments

• mar8 coin f.jpg
    mar8 coin f.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 242
  • mar 8 coin f 2.jpg
    mar 8 coin f 2.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 239
  • mar 8 coin b.jpg
    mar 8 coin b.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 231
Upvote 0
I have a book on Roman Coins, and their values, that I got while I was in Spain.
Very unlikly you can ID it from that as there are probably 4000 or 5000 different variaties, but we can look through it.
I can tell you that its hard to ID the Emporor as they all tended to look a great deal alike on small coins like yours (it appears to be small) But the back is a type that was made as a comemrative to some type of event that happened in the Empire.
Such an event could have been a victory in battle, or national historic event of some type.
I've seen that type before, and are fairly common. the back is a wreath with the inscription in the middle.
Hope this helps.
Richard

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info!!I have found that the former owners of the land where I found the coin were heavy duty coin collectors and had quite a collection from all over the world.When the one house that is still standing was cleaned out after the lady that lived there died the family found a large box of coins in the attic along with a nice collection of guns under the insulation near the scuttlehole. I will try to get us some good areas to hunt this weekend. The old town and church we talked about would be good, and I have two old house sites near the old ghost town that according to the owner have never been hunted. And again thanks for the info!!

Upvote 0
the one on the left looks about right...

Attachments

• roman4071.jpg
    roman4071.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 266
Upvote 0
The coin that you have there as an ancient roman coin from the Constantine era of Rome. It dates as far back as about 300 AD and probably no later than 400 AD. A very interesting thing to find here in the states! Good Luck and HH!

Fox

Upvote 0
The coin is an "AE4" of Constantius II (Son of Constantine the Great).? It is known as a votive issue.? The reverse reads "VOT XX MVLT XXX".? The reverse legend represents a commitment of the emperor to serve "X" amount of years as ruler.? Roughly translated it means "I vow to serve 20 years....and another 30 after that).? Of course, Constantius II died an untimely death (Like 99.9% of the other emperors of Rome).? The value of the coin is approx. $1.00.? Still Ancient..and still a very interesting find!

P.S. The plate coin pictured above on the left is a "Siliqua". It is a rather rare late roman silver denomination. I have two of them but can't get the pics to upload.
Gunner

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back