Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Manticore
Anyone recognize this?

IMG_20240913_171200.jpg
Thanks in advance

Upvote 4
Is that a word in the lower arched area"
Don in SoCal
It looks like it, it was found by my friend while we were out today. He hasn't gotten it all cleaned up yet. I found a RAF button, normal one. I was hoping it was an escape and evasion version.
IMG_20240913_145541.jpg

What I see is an eagle facing left, what appears to be a French horn instrument and a cannon barrel capped at both ends--and is therefore not a cannon barrel.
Yes, cleaning that bottom area will, hopefully, aid in ID-ing the button.
Don in SoCal

I don't know what is is, but the eagle looks to be in the style used by the Italian Air Force. I wonder if what looks a bit like a cannon barrel might be a fasces (bundle of rods with an axe) which Italy abandoned as a national symbol after the fall of fascism in 1943.
I agree with @Mackaydon on the 'French Horn', sometimes referred to as 'post horn' and used by various countries as symbolism for postal services. Did Italy have a wartime air postal service? I don't know, but they certainly had a naval one, using an anchor as an emblem on uniform buttons.

A fasces is also the name of the vertical image on a reverse of a US Mercury dime; representing authority.
Don in SoCal
PS: And yes, as Red-Coat mentioned, various countries placed an image of the horn on their stamps. The horn was used by postmen (or the postal office) to signal his arrival and departure.

Last edited:
IDK, it's almost like a reverse R.C.A.F bird too but facing different direction
I can't get over how the bird almost has the "dragon" like quality of the militia and American artillery buttons 1812 or civil war- then there's the WW2 German and Italian bird that mimics them as well...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-09-14-00-59-27-680.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-09-14-00-59-27-680.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back