Need help identifying properly

Jun 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive heard red jasper, mexican fire opal, slag.???
The fossil is in the same area that i found some ammonites shells, i think its a tentacle, others think im just ate up.
19420605_10209486212899417_1495562223200768682_n.jpg19420402_10209483032099899_682976787327744032_n.jpg

Looks like Jasper to me. Any chance you can flip it over and snap a picture of the back? It looks like a Native American thumb scraper. Maybe a close up or two of the edges?

Upvote 0
yeah definitely a scraper, more than likely during the knapping process they hit a snag then just utilized it for household use. Second, looks like a rattlesnake rattle. Common iconography.

Edit: Probably not an ammonite, they would have more symmetrical lines and curves (even if deposition wasn't the greatest, at least part of it would be silica replacement. My opinion is that it's part of a rattlesnake petroglyph. Cool snizz though.

Edit 2: I didn't read your entire thing correctly, one of those days. Looks like Jasper and it's very very nice. Maybe that artifact was coveted, maybe it was a reworked projectile point. Regardless it's sweet.

Edit 3: it's one of those days, um reason I think it's a petroglyph is that it's associated with the scraper (let me know if I'm wrong about that and these two artifacts/fossils are from locations entirely).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One other idea on the worked stone is red obsidian.

Upvote 0
The chipped piece has the appearance of being a scraper.
Many flints can be heat treated and will turn red on the outside.

This has the appearance of being grey Georgetown flint, perhaps, that has been subjected to heat after being made into a scraper.
It is not obsidian ... if grey inside, flint or chert ... if red throughout, jasper.

Upvote 0
Tentacles didn't fossilize. It's likely the chambers in a shell or some segmented creature.

Upvote 0
Some ammonites didn't have a tight curl to their shells or it could be a belumnite not 100% on my spelling but they were common and were fairly straight

Upvote 0
Correct Ammonites are straight (there are cousins and relatives that have very unique morphology), I knew that, but it has very indented groves, looks man-made AND double groves on the right side that are very deep and wide. Albiet that it could have been deformed either in death or deposition stages it quite possibly could be a fossil. It definitely looks man-made (I've seen brach's and crinoids that have been deformed during the rock forming process) time and pressure for sedimentary rocks, even nautiluses, porifera and cnidarians all can be deformed. Chambers look off, and it's bent. 50/50 I say being Ammonite or Petroglyph. Also notice the smooth rounded squarish borders of the top right corner of the host rock. Definitely a "What is it", all good hypothesis above from everyone. What do they say about science, not prove it right, but try and disprove it. ammonites straight - Bing images

Then again I could be totally wrong, happens a lot.

Upvote 0
So I got out my Audubon guide to NA and I narrowed it down to either a phylum molluscs or phylum gastropoda, cone shaped or snail type. Those shell marks or scale punctuation are in so many combinations to accurately Id the species or genus. Each species had unique "ekg" pattern. If it is a fossil it had a rough time between deposition and consolidation, but I still think it's a carving

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back