Jul 11, 2023

Attachments

• IMG_20240919_162645.jpg
    IMG_20240919_162645.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240919_162635.jpg
    IMG_20240919_162635.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Corundum can be colorless but it’s rare. Corundum is 9 on the mohs scale. I’m not sure how you could test it. I would think it’s some type of quartz before I would think it’s corundum. Rubies and sapphire are both colored corundum.

Upvote 0
It can scratch quartz crytal ,I threw it against the wall with great force and there was no visible damage. There are some impurities in the color of red and yellow. Is it corundum?
Not corundum. Looks like quartz to me.

Does it scratch window glass?

Something to remember about hardness: Numbers are sometimes the average of a range; different varieties of a mineral (e.g. quartz) may be slightly softer or harder than exactly 7.

This would be easier if you would tell us where in India you're finding these. Geography can be a clue.

Also, if you want to accentuate certain colors or impurities, please photograph on a neutral (e.g. white) background so we can see what you're talking about.

Below are a FEW CLEAR minerals found in India with a hardness between 7 and 8. IF the current specimen is not quartz, it may be one of these, but more information and testing would be required.

Danburite​
Iolite​
Dumortierite​
Hambergite​
Goshenite*
Morganite*

*Most likely candidates, but I still think it's quartz.

Upvote 1

Something to remember about hardness: Numbers are sometimes the average of a range; different varieties of a mineral (e.g. quartz) may be slightly softer or harder than exactly 7.

This would be easier if you would tell us where in India you're finding these. Geography can be a clue.

Also, if you want to accentuate certain colors or impurities, please photograph on a neutral (e.g. white) background so we can see what you're talking about.

Below are a FEW CLEAR minerals found in India with a hardness between 7 and 8. IF the current specimen is not quartz, it may be one of these, but more information and testing would be required.

Danburite​
Iolite​
Dumortierite​
Hambergite​
Goshenite*
Morganite*

Yes it can scratch window glass and it was found in madurai tamilnadu india.

Attachments

• IMG_20240919_172635.jpg
    IMG_20240919_172635.jpg
    730 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0

Danburite​
Iolite​
Dumortierite​
Hambergite​
Goshenite*
Morganite*

My research indicates that Goshenite are found in tamilnadu, which is where I found it.

Upvote 0
Yes it can scratch window glass and it was found in madurai tamilnadu india.
Search: clear minerals found in madurai tamilnadu india

IMO, you're going about this backward. I would learn about the minerals in that region and how to identify them, THEN go out in the field and see what you can find.

Upvote 1
My research indicates that Goshenite are found in tamilnadu, which is where I found it.
Yes, that's why I said it's a likely candidate. Everything on that list can be found there.

But that doesn't mean that's what you've got.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back