button2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 263
  • back2.jpg
    back2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 182
  • button_side.jpg
    button_side.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 225
The buttons have the distinctive Crown of Great Britain on them. We need to see good close-up photos of the backs, and any maker's-mark ("backmark") on your buttons' back, in order to accurately date them.

Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
The buttons have the distinctive Crown of Great Britain on them. We need to see good close-up photos of the backs, and any maker's-mark ("backmark") on your buttons' back, in order to accurately date them.

Thanks, I posted a pic of the backs, afraid there's not much to go on

Upvote 0
Thank you for making and posting a photo showing the buttons' back. Because their back is made of sheet-iron with what is called a self-shank, they are definitely civilian "Fashion" buttons, not military.

Self-shank means the loop/shank for thread is part of the stamped sheet-iron back itself, instead of being a separate loop/shank attached to the button's back. The self-shank back is much simpler and cheaper to manufacture than making a back and a loop and attaching them together ...so self-shank backs are commonly used for el-cheapo buttons on bargain-basement civilian clothing. They are typically too flimsily constructed to stand up to military service, so the Military has almost never used self-shank buttons.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help, I posted a couple better pics of the back and side view, I don't really want to
try to clean them afraid they will fall apart
HH

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back