devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am new to the web site here and I need help in identifying this brass plate or buckle that was found some time ago in the west side of atlanta, georgia. the plate is made of brass and is 3.5 inches long x 2.4 inches wide. there are 2 prongs on the back side that are bent. the plate bears no stamp or markings and is plain. this was found on a hill where many artifacts were found.Confederate trenchlines are atop of this hill. this was found about 4' down in the middle of the pathway near the trenchline. I always thought this to be a Confederate piece due to where it was found, and the fact that it is plain with no distinguishable markings. the plate is heavily pitted thanks to the georgia red clay in which it was found. I have seen one of these in the past, but cannot recall just where. I always thought this could be a Confederate cavalry leather carbine sling breast plate? any help or input would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance, devldog.

Attachments

• 100_3541-1.jpg
    100_3541-1.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 387
  • 100_3543-1.jpg
    100_3543-1.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 401
  • 100_3545-1.jpg
    100_3545-1.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 436
Hey there devldog , its kind of hard to see, try posting some clearer pics maybe someone can help you out with the ID.

Upvote 0
Re: need help identifying brass plate - stumped

devldog said:
I am new to the web site here and I need help in identifying this brass plate or buckle that was found some time ago in the west side of atlanta, georgia. the plate is made of brass and is 3.5 inches long x 2.4 inches wide. there are 2 prongs on the back side that are bent. the plate bears no stamp or markings and is plain. this was found on a hill where many artifacts were found.Confederate trenchlines are atop of this hill. this was found about 4' down in the middle of the pathway near the trenchline. I always thought this to be a Confederate piece due to where it was found, and the fact that it is plain with no distinguishable markings. the plate is heavily pitted thanks to the georgia red clay in which it was found. I have seen one of these in the past, but cannot recall just where. am having a tough time finding just what this piece is. I found some plates that were manufactured in rome, ga. by the brothers foundry, but the hooks on my piece are wrong. the hooks are both bent, but they are in the middle from the side, rather than coming from the end of the plate. I'm really stumped. I would certainly appreciate any help. I appologize for the quality of the photo's. this was about the best I could do. again, thanks in advance. devldog.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back