Need help identifying a few items I found today.

Feb 18, 2013
NC
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_0772.JPG
    IMG_0772.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0773.JPG
    IMG_0773.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0774.JPG
    IMG_0774.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0775.JPG
    IMG_0775.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0776.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0777.JPG
    IMG_0777.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 141
Since Breezie has already answered about items 2 and 3, I'll do item #1.

The item shown in your first two photos is known as a brass 1-piece flatbutton. It was made for use on civilian clothing, although some did get used on Militia uniforms. The type you found appears to have a "backmark" (maker's or dealer's mark on the button's back), with the marking done in raised lettering. That dates your silverplated brass 1-piece flatbutton from approximately the 1790s to the 1840s. The majority of them that get dug in America were manufactured in Britain during the 1790s through 1820s and were imported into the US, because the fledgling American button-making industry could not yet manufacture enough to supply the vast demand from clothing-makers.

Upvote 0
Breezy and Cannonball guy I have another find that has peaked my curiosity, maybe you guys could shed some light.

I found what I believe in my research to be an 1801 1/2 real Spanish coin, the problem is that it was cut in half. My question is was it a common practice to cut coins to half the value or is this some weird coincidence?

Attachments

• IMG_0771.JPG
    IMG_0771.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0
Breezy and Cannonball guy I have another find that has peaked my curiosity, maybe you guys could shed some light.

I found what I believe in my research to be an 1801 1/2 real Spanish coin, the problem is that it was cut in half. My question is was it a common practice to cut coins to half the value or is this some weird coincidence?
Yes,it was common and a sought after find!Thats where "piece of eight",,and "two bits",came from!

Upvote 0
Thanks Kuger, I thought this was odd but it was a precision cut so I am glad to know some history on the piece. Just wish it had been a whole coin so I could know the exact date. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
Thanks Kuger, I thought this was odd but it was a precision cut so I am glad to know some history on the piece. Just wish it had been a whole coin so I could know the exact date. :icon_thumright:

:laughing7:...I hear ya,but to be honest I would rather dig a cut coin than a whole one anyway!There really isnt a whole lot of numismatic value in most 1/2 reals,and a site cant really be dated by a coin either,but a cut coin tells a story!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back