Need help dating some silver

krimic

Mar 28, 2005
Metro East, Illinois
Went out on sunday and found this little beauty at 3" deep.. When I first recovered the chain it was in really bad shape.. It came out of the hole in 3 different pieces and the medallion was not attached to it.. After bringing it home and 10 minutes with a pair of kneedlenose pliers and a little bit of silver sodder it is looking almost as good as new.. The age of the place that I recovered it from dates as far back as 1826.... I believe this chain and medallion to be probably from the 40's to 50's... The reason that I came to this conclusion is because I also dug 2 wheaties a 42' and a 52'... But I could be wrong it has happened many a times before... But any info you guys and gals can give, or any guesses would be appreciated.. On the front of the medallion are the intials A.J.M. and on the reverse is a name "Cruachan" with a sterling stamp at the bottom... Thanks for looking and remember cooler temps are coming just have to be patient... HH

Attachments

• silver chain.jpg
    silver chain.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 492
  • chain2.jpg
    chain2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 502
  • chain3.jpg
    chain3.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 489
Upvote 0
rvbvetter said:
? ? ? ? Just noticed.? ? Looks like it's? A J & M? or A J & N ?? ?and /or something.? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? HH
You know what you are right I never noticed that until you said that. I took it out to a couple buddies of mine that own jewlery stores and they confirmed that it was old but they had no idea on the approximate age of the medallion... I threw some suggestions at my buddy and he said late 18th century sounds right. But he also said that the chain wasn't that old, which we all already came to that conclusion. So still not sure on age but at least I have a ballpark estimate.. That's the beauty of this hobby spend one part of your life looking for this kind of stuff, then spend the rest of your life trying to find the history behind it... Good Stuff!

tank said:
also noticed "Cruachan" is in quotes as if it were a statement of rememberance or a battle cry rather than a name.? 88
After reading your post I decided to type in Cruachan on google and came up with that being a battle cry for the Cambell Clan of Scotland.. So after looking around their website which is very proud with their heritage I decided to send them an email with a photo and see if they could give me any input on this medallion.. The place where this medallion was found is soaked in military history from the Black Hawk War to WWII so who knows.. Thank you for looking and giving me another lead to track down the age of this... Krimic

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back