Need help dating some silver

krimic

Mar 28, 2005
Metro East, Illinois
Went out on sunday and found this little beauty at 3" deep.. When I first recovered the chain it was in really bad shape.. It came out of the hole in 3 different pieces and the medallion was not attached to it.. After bringing it home and 10 minutes with a pair of kneedlenose pliers and a little bit of silver sodder it is looking almost as good as new.. The age of the place that I recovered it from dates as far back as 1826.... I believe this chain and medallion to be probably from the 40's to 50's... The reason that I came to this conclusion is because I also dug 2 wheaties a 42' and a 52'... But I could be wrong it has happened many a times before... But any info you guys and gals can give, or any guesses would be appreciated.. On the front of the medallion are the intials A.J.M. and on the reverse is a name "Cruachan" with a sterling stamp at the bottom... Thanks for looking and remember cooler temps are coming just have to be patient... HH

Attachments

• silver chain.jpg
    silver chain.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 492
  • chain2.jpg
    chain2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 502
  • chain3.jpg
    chain3.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 489
Upvote 0
No help with the date, but that an awesome find,,,WTG!!!
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Nice find. It looks old to me. It looks to be from the early part of the 1900's. I have found similar things with the same old english lettering. It may be older though. Possible from the 1800's. But I don't know if they marked things sterling that long ago.

HH Jer

Great find, amybe its a coin made into a love token and sodered into a medaillion? Is the chain silver too?

Cool find!

HH

Lonewolfe

What is the Size of The Medallion ?

? ?IF it's the Size of a DIME, I'd Wager 1870's

The Style of Lettering Reminds me of a Few 1870's Seated Dime Love Tokens I'v seen in the Past

jeff of pa said:
What is the Size of The Medallion ?

? ?IF it's the Size of a DIME, I'd Wager 1870's

The Style of Lettering Reminds me of a Few 1870's Seated Dime Love Tokens I'v seen in the Past
It measures out to be 1 1/4 by 1 1/4" or a little smaller than a half a dollar

JakePhelps said:
Great find, amybe its a coin made into a love token and sodered into a medaillion?? Is the chain silver too?
yeah the chain is silver too... and when the chain came out of the ground it looked as good as it looks in the picture... a little dirt in between the links but thats it

? ? ? ? ? I'm no expert.? Ask anybody.

? ? ?But just from my observation. I think your dealing with 2 different eras here.
The chain and medallion don't look like they originaly came together. The medallion and the ring the chain is actually attached to, look to be of the same time frame and probably came together. The chain looks to be of a more modern time. Perhaps 40's or 50's and maybe newer. Looks like it was a replacement chain for the original one. That maybe was worn out or lost.

? ? ? ?I'm sure somebody that knows more than I, will be along to help you on it.? ?Good luck with it and? Great Find!!!? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? WTG!!? ? ? ? ?HH

It could Be a Half Dollar.

IF you Filed down the Edge of a Half Dollar it would be Sleightly Smaller.

Only 2 Problems with that.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Why IF it's a Half Dollar would they Stamp it STERLING ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?and iF I'm correct on the age, Who would Waiste 50 cents in the 1870's ?

SOOOOO ! I personally say, it's not a Coin.

? But I'm going to stand by the MID 1870's, as I said, Because of the Fancy Lettering,

Matching Perfectly with Love Tokens of the Same Era.

On the Chain, I agree with rv.

rvbvetter said:
? ? ? ? ? I'm no expert.? Ask anybody.

? ? ?But just from my observation. I think your dealing with 2 different eras here.
The chain and medallion don't look like they originaly came together. The medallion and the ring the chain is actually attached to, look to be of the same time frame and probably came together. The chain looks to be of a more modern time. Perhaps 40's or 50's and maybe newer. Looks like it was a replacement chain for the original one. That maybe was worn out or lost.

? ? ? ?I'm sure somebody that knows more than I, will be along to help you on it.? ?Good luck with it and? Great Find!!!? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? WTG!!? ? ? ? ?HH
I think that I would have to agree with that conclusion because the more that I look at it the less that it looks like that chain and the medallion are from the same era... Thank you for your help and input!!!!

jeff of pa said:
It could Be a Half Dollar.

IF you Filed down the Edge of a Half Dollar it would be Sleightly Smaller.

Only 2 Problems with that.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Why IF it's a Half Dollar would they Stamp it STERLING ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?and iF I'm correct on the age, Who would Waiste 50 cents in the 1870's ?

SOOOOO ! I personally say, it's not a Coin.

? But I'm going to stand by the MID 1870's, as I said, Because of the Fancy Lettering,

Matching Perfectly with Love Tokens of the Same Era.

On the Chain, I agree with rv.
I can't believe either that in 1870's they would waste 50 cents way to much money back then... I'm going to talk to one of my buddies that is a jewlery expert today and get his input on it... I don't even know when they startes stamping jewlery with Sterling so maybe that is a clue there... I also noticed to the right of the sterling stamp there appears to be a heart with and arrow going thru it but I do not have a magnafying glass.. So maybe that is another clue... We'll soon see... Thanks again Jeff and everybody for your help and input!!!!!

Cruachan is a area in the highlands of Scotland as well as an area in Ireland. would thing the medal probably predates chain by 80-100 years.

also noticed "Cruachan" is in quotes as if it were a statement of rememberance or a battle cry rather than a name. 88

Just noticed. Looks like it's A J & M or A J & N ? and /or something.
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back