Need for speed and high volume output

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Getting to larger creek and stream placer sites in North Carolina have just gotten a lot easier. I bought a jet ski that functioned mechanically well and mounted it somewhat creatively into my 12' Sears john boat. The advantages are great... no prop to foul or break and it operates in less than 16" of water. There's no need to drag a dredge unit with me... the output from the john boat jet nozzle when hooked up to the sluice jet will suck the fillings out of your mouth at 20 feet.

Did I mention that this rig has approximately 50hp available to the jet output. Advantage... I can run this engine at low speed and still outperform most suction dredges with no problem. Let's start to think outside of the box and get somewhat creative.

The cost. $300 for the boat and trailer; $35 for title/tags, $100 for the jetski, $80 for metal fabrication and misc parts. If the weather is bad, I'll still be able to go fishing. WIN, WIN.

May the yellow stuff blind your sluice, not you judgement.

Attachments

• boat_02.jpg
    boat_02.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 3,468
  • boat_01.jpg
    boat_01.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 787
  • throttle_up.jpg
    throttle_up.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 298
Great job with that. I thought about that idea before but didn't know how much pressure those jet drive pumps put out. What size suction hose are you using?

Great job, I am quite impressed.
I have been contemplating on using a jet ski in ecuador to access some remote locations, but I was to slow to add it to my dredge as well.
How is the fuel consumption, its not a big issue at .30 a litre just wondering
thanks for the input
Jay

I'm in the process of a submarine version :tongue3:

NC CLAYMAKER, YOU ARE A FREAKIN' GENIOUS!

A FEW MORE MODIFICATIONS LIKE A GLASS BOTTOM, AND MOUNTING THE SLUCE BOX UNDER THE BOAT AND A FEW REMOTE CONTROLS ON THE SUCTION END SO YOU CAN OPERATE THE DREDGE FROM THE DRIVER'S SEAT.

"WHAT DREDGE, YOUR HONOR? I WAS JUST GOING FISHIN'." :dontknow: :laughing9:

CALIFORNIA BLACKMARKET!!!!!

:hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :icon_sunny:
PROSPECTORMIKEL

I feel this thread deserves a revival. The idea is brilliant. What kind of suction would this give and how large would the nozzle be?

i had thought about this useing a pontoon boat for a base and hooking a 6 inch dredge inbetween the pontoons. complete with awning,bar-b-q pit, radio and all. no more careing hoses/fuel/extras to and from!!!

i had thought about this useing a pontoon boat for a base and hooking a 6 inch dredge inbetween the pontoons. complete with awning,bar-b-q pit, radio and all. no more careing hoses/fuel/extras to and from!!!

Call me, I'll operate the nozzle while you run the Bar-B-Q :occasion14:

Nice! I like it! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back