DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT has a iron back and a lined field field with 19 stars going around the eagle.At first sight it reminded me of the great seal.I am guessing a coverall button maybe late 19th or early 20th Century? 001.JPG004.JPG.

I think it is a civilian fashion button dating to the last half of the twentieth century.

Upvote 0
Thanks,It is that late?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your button appears to have a version of self-shank back which I call a "pierced dome." See photo below showing a non-excavated example. For anybody here who doesn't already know... "self-shank back" is the term used by button collectors for a button whose back itself forms the shank (or loop) for the thread to pass through... instead of the back having a separately-made and applied shank/loop. Being far less expensive to manufacture, self-shank backs are found almost entirely on cheap-quality buttons.

The "pierced dome" version of self-shank back seems to have been patented and introduced sometime between 1900 and 1910.

All of that being said... the "pierced dome" self-shank back is seldom seen today, because the simple hole in a sheet-metal back tended to soon cut through the thread which held the button onto the clothing. Therefore, within a few decades the "pierced dome" back was superceded by an improved version of self-shank back, shown in the second photo. So, I think your button with a "pierced dome" back is more likely to be from the first half of the 20th Century than the second half.

Attachments

• button_self-shank_USOfficer1832-1902_false3piece_backview_TN_photobyMcogan-LIMongoMike_IMG_3675.jpg
    button_self-shank_USOfficer1832-1902_false3piece_backview_TN_photobyMcogan-LIMongoMike_IMG_3675.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • button_self-shank-back_latter-20th-century-sportcoat_Ebay.jpg
    button_self-shank-back_latter-20th-century-sportcoat_Ebay.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back