VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
button with penny1.jpgHello friends, sorry it's been a while, work has been crazy. Finally got some time to get out. I'm working an old tavern site that has just been plowed. Lots of glass and pottery everywhere! About five min. out of the truck and I get a slamming hit!!! It's a button with the loop. I didn't notice until I got home, but it has a eagle on the back. There also is a shield with a anchor? The front is worn smooth. Any help on ID would be appreciated. Got another 4 hole button and a piece of a clay pipe with some kind of makers mark? Got washed out by the rain shortly after, but going back as soon as the sun comes up . H.H.-ED

Attachments

• button 1.jpg
    button 1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 138
  • button 2.1.jpg
    button 2.1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 132
  • clay pipe 1.jpg
    clay pipe 1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
That is a Navy one piece button made that way. It is listed in Albert's as NA 75 B.
"Navy; 1-piece, device on back of button. The device on a lined field with border, no stars. 19mm RV5"
Nice find.

Upvote 0
That is a Navy one piece button made that way. It is listed in Albert's as NA 75 B.
"Navy; 1-piece, device on back of button. The device on a lined field with border, no stars. 19mm RV5"
Nice find.

I think that's an error in the book because I have two of those and finding an 1812 era American button is pretty rare here.... rare enough that I have never dug one. I think it's just a cool British made backmark.

Upvote 0
I have found 1812 era buttons at early house sites before fairly close to this site. Tavern was built late 1790's , burnt down around 1830's . I just don't recall ever seeing this type of back mark? Any idea on a date or who wore it?

Upvote 0
I think that's an error in the book because I have two of those and finding an 1812 era American button is pretty rare here.... rare enough that I have never dug one. I think it's just a cool British made backmark.

I defer to your knowledge on this. I was just going by what Albert's had to say. Do you think both varieties are errors? And, is there any available research I could read on this subject?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I defer to your knowledge on this. I was just going by what Albert's had to say. Do you think both varieties are errors? And, is there any available research I could read on this subject?

I can't add anything, and that's just my gut feeling on them.... but I would like to see someone prove this beyond Alberts since I have one.

Upvote 0
In the last pic of a piece of clay pipe , inside the circle there are numbers. Looks like a 8 and a 75? any body no what that means?

Upvote 0
I thought eagle backmarks were 1820s - 30s, American.?

Could be American... but strange to have strayed my way. To be honest I've never checked backmarks real close so not sure how many American made buttons I might have dug over the years.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I have also found one. Tice's "Dating Buttons" book on page 47 shows an example of one and it says "US Navy Device, C 1820. Not really military issue I suppose and not War of 1812 era. I do know there has been previous discussions on whether this was a button where the shank was placed on the wrong side, answer to that is nope.....

Upvote 0
Don, that's a very cool avatar!!!Vermont plow copper:icon_thumright: Just trying to get a date on the button or who would have worn this...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back