Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NCRR - North Central Railroad, I suspect.

Any other ideas? Comments?

IMGA3557.JPGIMGA3562.JPGIMGA3563.JPG

It reads:

" Daniel Stabler "
" GRAYSTONE "
" NCRR. "

Thanks!

Daniel Stabler had a farm near the Graystone Station of the Northern Central Railroad outside Baltimore, MD.

This map is from 1898.

Attachments

• graystone.jpg
    graystone.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 0
I was leaning toward it being some sort of name plate for Daniel Stabler and had some association with the Graystone Station on the NCRR. It all fits the area. Just couldn't figure how or why all the info on one plate. That he might have worked there seems logical but still. Maybe he had an office and this was on his door? When he got fired they threw his plate out with the trash? lol

Boy, if it could only talk!

Sure gives a LOT of historical hints though, don'tcha think?

Thanks for all the hints!

Upvote 0
Daniel Stabler had a farm near the Graystone Station of the Northern Central Railroad outside Baltimore, MD.

This map is from 1898.

Yep, it all fits. Was just trying to figure why all 3 pieces of info were on one tag. Office door sounds right.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I dont see how it could fasten to a door. Any clue on the back?

Upvote 0
I dont see how it could fasten to a door. Any clue on the back?

Of course, I'm just guessing. But, it could have been held to a door by one of those little brass frames I've seen holding nameplates. :dontknow:

Had to be placed somewhere for show, right? Don't think they would just prop it up somehow.

Upvote 0
Here is another tag similar to yours. Several theorys presented. I think the best theory is a shipping tag.

Yep, shipping tag would fit too. Must've been attached somehow though. :dontknow:

Upvote 0
Yea maybe it attached like you described. Its hard for me to tell if something has broken off or if there is any clue on the backside such as solder remains.

I would have to go with shipping tag because we know that during this period shipping and luggage tags were stamped metal. Usually attached with a strap. He lived near the station so this is where something large would have been delivered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why, in the ground. ;) LOL

WoW .. what an acute perception for the obvious and very helpful. I thought that perhaps a tag I dug in Parkton Maryland years ago may have some connection, but
we won't need to go into that at this point.

Upvote 0
WoW .. what an acute perception for the obvious and very helpful. I thought that perhaps a tag I dug in Parkton Maryland years ago may have some connection, but
we won't need to go into that at this point.

Ya just have to see when the leg pullage starts. :dontknow:

Anyway, it could tie in as the NCRR did run thru Parkton. This was found nearer to monkton but slightly west, nearer to glencoe. A fair piece from the NCRR but not as the crow flies.

Let me bounce this off you. Mr. Stabler went to the station to pick up his package. Then, since people didn't always stick to established roads using horseback, he rode off from the station on a fairly straight line toward the home showing in the map provided by Bramblefind. Somewhere along the way, the shipping tag fell off. In what would have been just woods back then. Waiting for me to come along about a hundred years later to find.

That seem feasible?

Thanks!

HH!

Upvote 0
Yea maybe it attached like you described. Its hard for me to tell if something has broken off or if there is any clue on the backside such as solder remains.

I would have to go with shipping tag because we know that during this period shipping and luggage tags were stamped metal. Usually attached with a strap. He lived near the station so this is where something large would have been delivered.

The back on it shows no indications of it ever being soldered. The corners are bent and there is the large crack in it but nothing appears to be missing. Maybe, they nailed a wood frame around it to the crate? Fairly large tag. :dontknow:

But, in any case, I think we've pretty well figured this one. Don't know what else we could. Kinda nice, that we can piece together this much information from such an old, decrepit metal tag.

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
I found several on the internet. Im not sure how they attached as a shipping tag but they all have a name, station and railroad.

I dont think its too big. We dont know how large the shipment was. Maybe more clues will surface.

Attachments

• tag railroad Avondale_Sta.jpg
    tag railroad Avondale_Sta.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back