NC sunburst one piece button. Reproduction?

vadigger89

Feb 8, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My friend found this on the property that he rents at and knows that there were civil war reenactmentsthere about twelve years ago. Could this button be from the reenactment or do you think it is authentic? I have no idea how to tell if it is a reproduction or the real deal. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• FxCam_1336679515144.jpg
    FxCam_1336679515144.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 281
  • FxCam_1336679540640.jpg
    FxCam_1336679540640.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 225
I would bet on reenactors. In the Dalton, Ga area was the confederate winter camp and I have dug and saw bunches dug and not one with a shank on it. Your shank looks very sturdy. The original ones were not very sturdy.

Upvote 0
Thankyou I read the same thing last night that they are hardly ever found with shank still attached. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0
It is absolutely a modernday Reproduction. There were no 1-piece solid cast NC Starburst/Sunburst buttons. I used to be a civil war battle re-enactor, and I also was a Repro buckles & buttons dealer. I still own some 1990s-era Repro NC buttons 100%-exactly the same yours.

Upvote 0
I have one that I found inDalton,Ga. The shank on it was soldered, Yours appears to be cast. I'm no expert,but have never saw a cast N.C. sunburst.JMHO HH

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back