image-2122970073.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 106
  • image-3412209673.jpg
    image-3412209673.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 117
  • image-1841105727.jpg
    image-1841105727.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 135
personally I would post this(ask moderator to move)to the north american artifact forum....those guys pretty sharp on this stuff !!!

Upvote 0
Could be a mortar (grinding stone). I was ready to say just a rock, but the bottom does appear to have been worked down. That being said, they're pretty common.

Upvote 0
I figured i would see if the guys here thought it was even close or just say i was crazy and its a rock. it is very hard and very heavy. Is that part of this site or another one all together?

Upvote 0
Mortor or grinding stone used by whom? Age? assuming that is what it is.

Upvote 0
part of this site...forums...artifact forums...north american artifacts...I think its possible you have sumpin....move it there and they will know

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I love finding rocks like this - hope its something great but if not it is a cool rock all the same!

Upvote 0
I find rocks with that flat appearance sometimes. Cant really ever seem too figure out if it is or isnt Indian. Most of the places I dig have lot of arrowheads and stuff like that so I pay closer attention too the rocks and have dug up all sorts of odd rocks that are questionable too be Indian or not and I always bring them too a guy I know that knows Indian artifacts that may be you're best bet on this finding someone who really knows Native American artifacts.

The key too solving it is Did you find this rock in known Indian grounds or not? I would say it does really appear too have a grinding stone look too but I really do not know if it is or isn't but it almost somewhat doesnt look Native American. Rocks can play tricks on you unless you know lot about Native American artifacts and that is who I suggest you find.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I found it a few hundred feet from the Susquehanna River in a area that has produced many arrow heads, pottery, tools ect.

Upvote 0
It looks allot like that (minus the groove). The one side of it is as flat as flat can be.

Upvote 0
Thanx Bigfoot I posted it there and am waiting on replies.

Upvote 0
A good general theory on rock shapes is this;

randomness in nature is complete.that is to say every shape exists naturally.look hard enuf and you may find a rock that looks like you.A friend from the mining buisness has a collection of gold nuggets....naturally occuring...in all 26 letters of alphebet....just sayin...hut is right.experts required here.

Upvote 0
I found it a few hundred feet from the Susquehanna River in a area that has produced many arrow heads, pottery, tools ect.

I mean it is def a rock that if you found and didnt know much about Native American artifacts you would pick up and bring it back with you too study. Maybe you can find out from a expert in you're area that has seen Indian grinding stone rocks before in the area and can determine if it is or isnt (maybe even someone in antique or civil war shops would know) too me it just doesnt really look Native American but maybe could have been used for something in say the 17th/18th century for something or just be a rock! I know i see flat rocks that have broke off from another rock alot in streams and creek areas. It seems like when some rocks break off or didnt form right they can end up flat?

But like I said i'm not really a true expert in Rocks and Native American but I have been in you're shoes a lot finding rocks just like these and have been told it was or normally 80% of the time it is just a rock. I come across lot of Native American artifacts a lot and seen lots of stuff but i am not a true expert so I would def. say get this rock checked out by someone who really knows their Native American relics.

Upvote 0
I will say that this is the best photo in determining if it is or isn't online. I do know this type of rock is common around rivers and is similar or the same kind of rocks that are found around the Rappahannock River that can end up looking just like this rock that I have seen and picked up 100s of times.

Attachments

• rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 281
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back