Native American knife??

Texas Johnson

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2023
IMG_5550.jpeg
IMG_5550.jpeg
Team,

I found, what I believe is Native American cutting tool or a short knife. It appears to have been worked on one side (the front) and relatively flat on the other side (back). It has a perfect notch for the pointer finger and thumb on top if held in the right hand. I found it laying out in the open on a large rock shore along a river bank in central Tennessee. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5543.jpeg
    IMG_5543.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5544.jpeg
    IMG_5544.jpeg
    970 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5545.jpeg
    IMG_5545.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5546.jpeg
    IMG_5546.jpeg
    602.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5547.jpeg
    IMG_5547.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 18
Upvote 2
It's pretty crude whatever it is, if an artifact at all. One possibility, when you see a uniface with a `45 degree bevel edge, think wood scraper/plane.

If found on a dry land site I’d be thinking a flake knife/quick cutter… coming from a river opens up possibility of chatter.

Looks natural as others say, you didn't say where you found it, was it in water or a farmers field?

The flaking appears to be random not from knapping. Very poor material, and native Americans did not make finger notches on their tools, that is just the marvel of the human hand and opposable thumbs.

Better luck next time.👍

Looks natural as others say, you didn't say where you found it, was it in water or a farmers field?

The flaking appears to be random not from knapping. Very poor material, and native Americans did not make finger notches on their tools, that is just the marvel of the human hand and opposable thumbs.

Better luck next time.👍
Perfect. Thank you all for feedback and professional options. I’ll keep looking!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back