Silver Wendigo

Greenie
Dec 29, 2015
Missouri City, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was detecting a site where an old house used to stand from 1895 to 1949 just west of Palestine, Texas this weekend. One of my first finds is also the one I'm having the most trouble identifying. It's a wheel that I think is made of cast-iron because it's extremely heavy. It's about 7 inches across in all areas and there are no grooves of any sort on it. Anyone have any ideas?
IMG_0212.JPGIMG_0211.JPG
There are also two other items I found that I can't identify either. The spot I found them in had a lot of old "Mexia" bricks, so I assume it was the chimney and fireplace. The objects in question have are about 5 inches long and 4 inches wide. One has two round protrusions or knobs, and the other has part of a gear attached to the axle. My best guess is that they're both from a clock, but I have no idea what kind.
IMG_0208.JPGIMG_0209.JPG
Sorry for the bad quality of the photos, these were taken with my iPad. Any id's would be appreciated!

might be the wheel that went on a model T. A long belt went on it to run machinery waaay back

Upvote 0
Second item is old phone guts... or buzzer bell... ? ? ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The bottom pics do look like both halves to a clock movement. It's kind of dirty.and I can't get much detail. I've seen enough of them to be confident in that guess though. I'm almost positive!

Upvote 0
Second item is old phone guts... or buzzer bell.

Saw your post after I posted.....Now your making me second guess. It does look like the mech. that I've seen for the real old rotary phones. :occasion14: I'll bet your right! I was almost positive on clock halves too! :laughing7:

Upvote 0
Jeff-Gordon, when I found the wheel I immediately guessed that it might be a car wheel. But it is heavy, and when I say that I mean really, really heavy! It's also only 7 inches across, and all of the pics of Model T wheels that I looked up seem much larger than that. My best guess is the wheel of a planter or small plow since the area used to be farmland, but I really have no idea!
Also, Nitric, you said that the clock pieces or whatever they are too dirty to make out much detail, but that's because they are SO badly rusted, that when I tried to wash and clean off the first piece I found as gently as I could, it started to crumble apart in my hand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jeff-Gordon, when I found the wheel I immediately guessed that it might be a car wheel. But it is heavy, and when I say that I mean really, really heavy! It's also only 7 inches across, and all of the pics of Model T wheels that I looked up seem much larger than that. My best guess is the wheel of a planter or small plow since the area used to be farmland, but I really have no idea!

That pic of the wheel or pulley might be hard to narrow down. My grandfather had stuff like that laying around in his barn from all kinds of things. From old tractors to orchard equipment and whatever else. I kept some for decoration.

Kind of even looks like a real old wheel barrow or cart wheel even. If the center is smooth? They also used equipment with big flat belts. I have no clue...Just taking more guess's.:laughing7:

Upvote 0
Wendigo, it's not the wheel that came on the car

it was just used when they needed it to run machinery

Upvote 0
The hole in the center of the wheel protrudes out an inch or so, and the inside of the hole is smooth with no grooves at all.
You guys have been throwing around the idea that the "clock" pieces are parts of an old rotary phone. Since the site is from the first half of the 1900's it might make sense. Anyone have any pics to confirm it though? I've looked through some on google and can't quite seem to find a match.:icon_scratch: Thanks for the help so far!

Upvote 0
I am thinking the wheel may be from a sucker rod pump. The other maybe part of a door latch. Just my 2cents

Upvote 0
The wheel is a standard generic heavy duty iron wheel. Fairbanks Morse used them on hand trucks, beam scales, mill carts etc. From the 1880's well into the 1940's. Tony

Upvote 0
Thanks Tony! :hello2: I looked up Fairbanks Morse iron wheels and found this on ebay:
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/a/(KGrHqNHJC8E922V2wBmBPhc2ptuk!~~/s-l1600.jpg
An exact match! Turns out these wheels were part of a "hit-and-miss engine", a type of four-stroke internal combustion engine that was produced during the 1890's to the 1940's (the exact time span from when this house was standing). I did a bit more research and found this too:
http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/m/mcPNItlW7MVXcZxAoBWQhLQ/140.jpg
That is a picture of a piston ring, also for the hit-and-miss engine. One of my other finds looks exactly like it. It all makes sense now as to why the wheel was near the chimney and fireplace!
The only thing left to determine is what those "clock" pieces really are.......

Upvote 0
The hole in the center of the wheel protrudes out an inch or so, and the inside of the hole is smooth with no grooves at all.
You guys have been throwing around the idea that the "clock" pieces are parts of an old rotary phone. Since the site is from the first half of the 1900's it might make sense. Anyone have any pics to confirm it though? I've looked through some on google and can't quite seem to find a match.:icon_scratch: Thanks for the help so far!

It is really hard to Id the "clock" parts. if some of the dirt will wash off there might be something there to positively ID it. I was looking up clock movement shapes to try to match up the shape of the "plates"(?)... Another thought is ....and this might be a long shot.:laughing7: But a wind up record player guts. The kind that were in portable cases, kind of like suitcases. I can't find a match there either.:dontknow: That center gear side might give it away too. There is just too much dirt to try to look at it and understand it's purpose or how it might have worked. :laughing7: Fun challenge though!

Upvote 0
Yes, it is a clock frame. The case would've been wooden. You may end up finding brass gears on the site as well. Read here. Several examples have been posted to the forum. I was trying to track down one of an identical rectangular frame to yours in a non-dug example with the wooden case and dial intact but couldn't locate it swiftly. Do some searching on Tnet and you may run across it, but that's what it is.
Below is a link to one that is different style, but will give you the idea.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/429939-thin-brass-part-found-10-inches-down-what.html

Buck

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back