Mystery trunk in the woods!

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent most of the day out in the woods doing a little relic hunting...not much, about 20 or so shotgun shells...then IDX starts goin' nutty...big quarter and dollar signals everywhere. Dig them up one by one and find most of the hardware to an old steamer trunk. All in about a 6 foot circle. Went over this little hard, but just hardware. Just makes you wonder what the steamer trunk was doing in the middle of the woods!

On the way back home, hunting pal and I stopped in Wolfe Park after reading about the great clad the other guys got there. It was on the way, so an easy stop to make, but only had an hour or so to hunt.

You guys sure did a bang up job on the clad! Couldn't squeeze out a quarter to save my life! Since there was nothing else to dig, I started chasing "ghost" signals...got this funky signal that wouldn't ID right, sounded solid, but bounced all over.

About 5 inches down I get a '46 rosy :-) horay!

Rescan hole, STILL getting tone. Reach into the loose dirt in the bottom a pull a walker :-)

STILL getting tone...another '46 rosy :-)

STILL getting tone...iron nails :-(

All this junk was mixed up together so everyone just left the nice little SILVER pocket spill for me! Thanks Guys!

Pal got cool watch and .925 ear ring too. Maybe we'll go back soon and REALLY work Wolfe Park for a whole day.

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 1,365
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,368
  • w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,378
Upvote 0
Beautiful coins but the hardware for that steamer trunk is incredible! I am with you....why would it be out in the woods? and apparently nothing in it....strange! Congrats on some great finds!

Cool digs...looks like you ran into some raw copper too!!! :icon_sunny:

Forgot to mention I DID find several .45 cal slugs...maybe a group of drunk rednecks hauled it out there for target practice?

I WISH there had something in it, looked hard but nothin metal.

Maybe whatever was in it was not metal....might try sifting that area....I know, lots of work but it is just buggin me not knowing what was in it! lol I would hope no one would haul it out there empty just to shoot holes in it.....surely they could find something less beautiful to shoot...I always did! :wink:

Was it possibly holding the remains of the dog that once had that dog tag???

I'm with cynangl.. The silver coins are great, but the steamer trunk hardware is outSTANDing! I'd bet it's worth some $$, too.
Great stuff!

I found a barrel hoop today, but we all know what that's worth.

pennyfarmer said:
Was it possibly holding the remains of the dog that once had that dog tag???

Sorry, forgot to mention dog tag came from a different part of the woods.

Good stuff :)

HH

Holy Crap, even better! A mystery icebox in the woods! Hinges just looked like steamer trunk to me, but it all fits for old wooden icebox too.

Thanks for the info!

wow what is your secret to your wonderful success :icon_study:
pm sent

diamondjim said:
Holy Crap, even better! A mystery icebox in the woods! Hinges just looked like steamer trunk to me, but it all fits for old wooden icebox too.

Thanks for the info!
Jeffery Daumer! ;D

crazyjarhead said:
diamondjim said:

Thanks for the info!
Jeffery Daumer! ;D

ROFLMAO!
diamondjim Great finds! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 1sc.gif
    1sc.gif
    50.5 KB · Views: 804
EDDE said:
wow what is your secret to your wonderful success :icon_study:
pm sent

NOW do believe me that rubbing the Finger of Fate really works?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back