mystery stone thing

N

nicknyc

hey hey hey... i wasn't aware of this part of the site til after i posted this in another area... thanks in advance for any info! i've sent an email to Lar Hothem for anyone who know's who that is :)

nicknyc said:
here's the "thing" that i found that i mentioned earlier. it fits right in your hand! nobody i have ever showed this to has ever given a different reaction. its always the same... "huh? let me se... what the.. that's really weird. what is that?!"

i have no idea.

anyone else know? or know who i can ask? Should I send the pics to Lar Hothem?

the bottom is completely smooth... it can stand up on it it so flat (bottom right).

myrock.jpg

Some type of hand tool who knows.

Or maybe a rotitiller hit it and made the marks.

Upvote 0
It is certainly not a chipped (knapped) rock. I've spent many hours looking for indian artifacts and if I was a betting man those marks are from a disc (light plow). I've seen many that look just like it.

Upvote 0
true true. . . and a rototiller is a possibility - we had one - but it was never used in the? area this was found.? it could have been moved maybe.. hmm.? ?still, the coincidences of the marks, shape, and perfectly flat smooth "bottom" were always too much to just write it off as a funny lookin' rock.?

i'm pretty sure i'll have a solid answer later in the week.? I lived in Bayside, NY and the Bayside Historical Society has a Native / 6500 Years of Bayside Exhibit going on right now at their museum.? I gave them a call and the curator is going to show the pics to their archaeological consultant tomorrow!? Who better to confirm what it is than THE authority on native american history on Long Island over the last 6500 years?!? God bless the internet.

http://www.baysidehistorical.org/exhibits/index.htm

At the very very least, my interests are piqued, i've found a really cool exhibit to check out in my area about where i grew up and learned a few things about the history of Long Island.? Bayside was home to the Matinecock tribe and Long Island has been inhabited for 9000 years!? Its cool to know that even if my rock is absolutely nothing, one definitely could find something of that nature here.

:)

Upvote 0
i haven't heard anything official yet.? i've just been forwarded some leads as to where i should look.? i have emailed a lot of people and done some research.? The guy who runs this site http://www.geocities.com/diabutsu_place/index.html said that he has seen "engraved" stones with similar markings, but i disagree.? the more i read the less likely i think it may be just an artistic creation and the more likely i think it may be a tool that may have seen quite a bit of use.

this site describes a type of ground stone tool called a "manos" -

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...8_Garcia.pdf+"ground+stone+tools"+manos&hl=en

"Manos? Predominantly food-processing tools, but they may have been used interchangeably between food and non-food processing activities. ? Manos are also usually designed with finger grooves, or roughened areas, on the sides that make them easier to hold, and may be pecked or ground on the side held in the palm of the hand, in order to make it more comfortable to hold. ? Flat/concave manos are used against a concave netherstone with a reciprocal grinding stroke, have flat to slightly convex surfaces, and no use-wear damage on the ends. ? Manos used on flat netherstones have flat surfaces and no use wear damage on the ends. ? A basin mano has a convex surface and is worked against a metate or netherstone in a combination of circular and reciprocal strokes."

--

That description and other info i've seen describes the common characteristics of this type of hand tool as a hard stone such as granite or limestone that is shaped to fit the hand, often having grooves - possibly finger grooves - to improve grip, and having a single smooth flat side worn down from use.? ?I am trying to find examples of these "manos" hand tools but I'm not having too much luck.? I haven't found anything that matches the description so closely supporting anything contrary to that so far, but i'm going to keep looking until i find something or someone to give me a real answer.

I have emailed pretty much every archaeological society in ny state and let me tell you, their links and email addresses are as old as the stuff they talk about ... most of the emails bounce back harder than a superball.

thanks for the pic colorado.. can you send the article or a link? couldn't read the print.

later!

n

Upvote 0
Hey Nick....Finally found the article I mentioned.? Don't know if it'll be readable after sizing it for sake of post.? I don't know how relevant it is anymore since this one predates occupation of this continent by 380,000 years or so.? But it did spring to mind in form when I saw your piece.? Heard anything from the experts yet?~CO2

Attachments

• stone.JPG
    stone.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 356
Upvote 0
Sorry for the cat and mouse there nick.? Trying to get the post large enough to be readable.? For some reason viewers on my pc label file size at 250 kb, but when I put them on the site they are only 50 kb?? Haven't got it down to a science yet so have to keep posting and pulling. Let me know if it's not readable & I'll try again~CO2

Upvote 0
I CAN READ IT, can everyone else ?

Upvote 0
Nick, that is a Paleolithic arse scratcher.? Note the horizontal grooves for achieving maximum pleasure.? The popular expression "groovy" was derived from this marvelous invention.? ?Hope you enjoy it. :D :D :D

Upvote 0
hey thanks! since i'm not milling my own grains anymore at least now i can get some use out of it!

GROOVAY!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back