Mystery Iron 002.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Before Tumbling.jpg
    Before Tumbling.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 83
  • After Tumbling.jpg
    After Tumbling.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 101
The first pic is an item off of the harness. The larger iron object is one half of an ox shoe. I always considered the ox shoe to be a good find.:hello:

Upvote 0
Sword hanger?

Upvote 0
The first pic is an item off of the harness. The larger iron object is one half of an ox shoe. I always considered the ox shoe to be a good find. :hello:

I knew about the ox shoe, I like finding them as well they seem to be pretty rare up here in Ontario, this is only my second in 2 years. I was thinking the "item off of the harness" might be a rein guide of sorts. :icon_scratch:
Thanks for your post duggap,
Dave

Sword hanger?

I only wish it was a sword hanger J, though I doubt this farm saw any military action! :icon_scratch:
Rain's too heavy to hunt this morning, so I've decided to do laundry and grocery shopping instead! :laughing7:
Take care J,
Dave

Upvote 0
We have all tried over and over to make those a sword hanger, but, alas, they are from a harness.

Seeing as you're in TN., I'm sure you've found your fair share of sword hangers! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Yep,sometimes called a Gag Loop.....I too have a whole box of sword hangers....yet have never been near any place one would need a sword...:laughing7:

Upvote 0
It is the broken-off loop from the end of a "gag chain" from a horse's bridle. If you tell somebody those objects are horsegear and the person wants proof, print the image below so you can hand it to them. It's a page in the 1907 Pierson-&-Howe catalog's horsegear section. The photo was made and posted previously here in the What-Is-It forum by our fellow ID-helper Creskol, who owns a copy of that 1907 catalog.

Also notice the similar-looking "swivel" in the catalog, for horse bridles.
The difference:
On a bridle swivel, the small loop directly joins the large loop.
On the loop end of a gag-chain, the large loop is connected to the small loop by a short stem.

Attachments

• horsegear_gag-chain and martingale_Pierson&Hough-1907-catalog_1_TN_photobyCreskol.jpg
    horsegear_gag-chain and martingale_Pierson&Hough-1907-catalog_1_TN_photobyCreskol.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 96
  • horsegear_gag-loop-harness_swivel_ON-HORSE_TN_postedbyGtoast.jpg
    horsegear_gag-loop-harness_swivel_ON-HORSE_TN_postedbyGtoast.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is the broken-off loop from the end of a "gag chain" from a horse's bridle. If you tell somebody those objects are horsegear and the person wants proof, print the image below so you can hand it to them. It's a page in the 1907 Pierson-&-Howe catalog's horsegear section. The photo was made and posted previously here in the What-Is-It forum by our fellow ID-helper Creskol, who owns a copy of that 1907 catalog.

Also notice the similar-looking "swivel" in the catalog, for horse bridles. The difference is that on a bridle swivel, the small loop is attached to the large loop by a stem, instead of being directly joined to the large loop.
Thank you for the ID and all the great information on my find 'TheCannonballGuy'! :occasion14:
I've printed off the page in the 1907 Pierson-&-Howe catalog's horse-gear section for future reference.

Thanks again,
Dave

Upvote 0
I accidentally mis-typed part of the explanation of the difference between a horsegear swivel and a gag-loop chain's end. I've edited my prior post to correct the error. But to make sure nobody misses the correction, here it is. Also for clarity, I've added two more photos of horsegear catalog pages, below.

CORRECTED VERSION
Also notice the similar-looking "swivel" in the catalog, for horse bridles.
The difference:
On a bridle swivel, the small loop directly joins the large loop.
On the loop end of a horsegear gag-chain, the large loop is connected to the small loop by a short stem.

Attachments

• horsegear_gag-chain_and_martingale_Pierson&Hough-1907-catalog_2_TN_photobyCreskol.jpg
    horsegear_gag-chain_and_martingale_Pierson&Hough-1907-catalog_2_TN_photobyCreskol.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 75
  • horsegear_gag-loop-harness_swivels_1909-harness-supply-catalog_TN_postedbyTaz42o.jpg
    horsegear_gag-loop-harness_swivels_1909-harness-supply-catalog_TN_postedbyTaz42o.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back