Mystery cannonball (?)

MOCNOC

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
We're hoping someone can help us identify what appears to be an old cannonball - see photos below.

One aspect of this ball seems unusual: it has a one-inch wide open shaft running through the middle of the ball and that shaft was full of black powder.

We live just north of Cincinnati, in a small house built in 1864 by man named Charles S. Lundy. He was born in Ontario in about 1830, a grandson of William Lundy. The War of 1812's Battle of Lundy's Lane was fought on William Lundy's farm in Niagara, Ontario. We've often wondered if Charles Lundy brought the cannonball to Ohio as an odd souvenir of the war fought on his grandfather's farm.

The cannonball was unearthed in 2003 in our backyard during excavation for construction of an addition to our 1864 house. It appears to have spent much of the past 150 years in the privy pit, which also contained discarded items like broken dishes and bottles ... and two porcelain doll heads dating to the Civil War period.

The cannonball is about 5 inches in diameter and weighs about 15 pounds. It has two one-inch diameter holes directly opposite each other on the seam line. The holes are connected by an open shaft an inch wide that runs all the way through the center of the ball. There are marks visible around each hole that may show remnants of a collar of some sort surrounding at least one hole - and possibly both.

There is a mold seam that runs around the diameter of the apparently cast iron ball. There is also a circular, rough depression equidistant from the seam that we believe is a vent sprue.

There is NO hollow chamber inside the ball, just the inch-wide open shaft that runs clear through the ball. There was a quantity of black powder found inside the shaft when the ball was sent to Perryville Battlefield in Kentucky to be cleaned in 2004. We still have the powder they removed from the shaft and it looks chunky - like freeze-dried black coffee crystals. They tested the powder and it remains volatile.

The photos below show the cannonball as it looked when it was found and after it was cleaned of rust, and also the black powder that was removed from the shaft.

Have you seen another ball like this? Several experts, including some at Gettysburg, have told us the size of the ball pre-dates the American Civil War. While the Lundy's Lane origin theory fits the facts, it's also possible the ball may be related to one of Gen. Anthony Wayne's campaigns since our house is midway and on the original road between the sites of two important 18th century Northwest Territory forts - Fort Washington on the Ohio River (now Cincinnati OH) and Fort Hamilton on the Great Miami River (now Hamilton OH.)

Could it have been a solid cannonball that was later modified to carry black powder? Could it have been a bar shot? Could it have been something other than a cannonball that someone decided to fill with black powder for some reason?

Any ideas you could share would be very much appreciated.

cannon-ball 2003.jpgcannonball-images.gifseam.JPGvent sprue on right.JPGvent sprue.JPGhole with collar.JPG

Two things to clarify:

1) BOTH HOLES WERE PLUGGED UP WHEN THE BALL WAS FOUND.
We never intended to make it sound like the holes were open when the ball was discovered. We didn't know there was even ONE hole in the ball until we knocked some of the encrusted dirt (and who knows what else) off the ball and you can see in the photo we posted that the hole is plugged up with something. There was so much mud and corrosion on the ball that we didn't know there were TWO holes until we got the cleaned-up ball back from Perryville many months later.

It seems reasonable to think that whoever put the powder inside the ball would have had to plug up each end, or the powder would have fallen out immediately.

2) THE BALL WAS UNCOVERED IN THE AREA OF THE PRIVY - BUT IT'S ONLY CONJECTURE THAT THE BALL HAD ACTUALLY BEEN INSIDE THE PRIVY
The ball was found during the excavation for a footer for the house addition that -- to our surprise -- uncovered the privy pit. The guy operating the backhoe found the ball when he was dumping dirt and noticed a round-looking clump as it fell from the backhoe shovel. He picked it up and realized it was too heavy to just be mud. We were watching, and when he knocked off some of the dirt he showed the ball to us and asked if he could keep it -- but we naturally didn't want to give it up.

So, the ball was definitely in the area of the privy but it's possible that it wasn't actually IN the privy, if that even matters. The scenario we imagined of it being thrown down into the privy by mischievous boys may very well be true, or the ball may actually have been left on the ground 60 or 70 years before the house and privy were built in 1864, if it had anything to do with Gen. Anthony Wayne's army, which moved through here in the late 1700s. It might have been buried naturally over all those years as leaves and other debris covered it.

Lastly, we're reporting the facts accurately. We have no reason to fabricate or embellish any of this and we have no reason to doubt the honesty of the men involved in cleaning the ball at Perryville. None of us has anything to gain by lying.

We're sure that CBG and other relic experts like him encounter more than their share of people trying to pull something for financial or other reasons.

We aren't among them and we sure don't want to waste anyone's time.

We're grateful for everyone's input and we're looking forward to hearing more from others on the site. We'll keep our fingers crossed that this research might find some answers.

Thank you again for all your input!

Upvote 0
In his/her first post in this discussion, Mocnoc wrote:
> It appears to have spent much of the past 150 years in the privy pit [...]

In his/her most recent post in this discussion, Mocnoc wrote:
> THE BALL WAS UNCOVERED IN THE AREA OF THE PRIVY - BUT IT'S ONLY CONJECTURE
> THAT THE BALL HAD ACTUALLY BEEN INSIDE THE PRIVY.

Mocnoc, I took you at your (spedific) word in your first post. You said "IN the privy pit." My analysis was based on what you reported as facts -- which are now being changed.

Mocnoc also wrote:
> BOTH HOLES WERE PLUGGED UP WHEN THE BALL WAS FOUND

Mocnoc, in your first post, you included a photo of the ball in "as excavated" condition -- uncleaned, still dirty. That photo shows at least one of the holes is not plugged. The hole is clearly visible, with some dark-ish dirt (or perhaps, the "gunpowder") down in the hole. For the convenience of other readers, I'll include that photo of yours at the end of this reply.

Even if the ball was not in the privy-pit, but instead just buried in dirt, it would still be multi-repeatedly drenched by rainwater soaking down through the dirt. The rainwater would have flowed through the non-plugged tunnel, ruining any gunpowder in it.

That being said... long after the ball was buried in the ground (or dumped in the privy-pit), a sorta-kinda "plug" could develop in the tunnel -- due to rust from the iron ball's body causing dirt which entered the tunnel to become "petrified" by Iron Oxide. But a petrified-dirt "plug" was not present when the ball was discarded. Some kind of a seriously waterproof seal would need to to have been installed at both ends of the tunnel, AND those waterproof seals would have had to stay in perfect condition for 150 years (until the day the ball was excavated out of the ground) to keep the reported gunpowder in the tunnel un-spoiled, still capable of "flashing" explosively into a puff of white smoke.

It is not my intention to sound adversial in my replies. But I am a multi-decades Professional in the subject-area of excavated iron cannonballs, their "forms," and the gunpowder in the explosive ones. I am being given statements-of-fact about this exacavated iron ball and its reportedly still-explosive contents which don't add up right -- and I am obligated to explain to this forum's readers specifically how the reported facts don't add up right.

Here's the photo from Mocnoc's first post, which shows the ball as it looked when it was excavated from the ground (prior to being cleaned). Note that a RECESSED hole is clearly visible, and it does not show a plug.

Attachments

• not-a-cannonball_Cincinattit-privy-ball_as-dug-dirty_TN_photovyMocnoc_cannon-ball%202003.jpg
    not-a-cannonball_Cincinattit-privy-ball_as-dug-dirty_TN_photovyMocnoc_cannon-ball%202003.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 0
Mocnoc wrote:
> We're sure that CBG and other relic experts like him encounter more than their share
> of people trying to pull something for financial or other reasons.

Yes, I encounter such people frequently. But let me say publicly, for the record, I do NOT think Mocnoc is "trying to pull something for financial or other reasons."

Actually, what I frequently encounter isn't people who are "trying to pull something" -- meaning, people with deliberately fraudulent intentions. What I often encounter is people who VERY much want to believe that they have found a highly-valuable Military Relic... instead of an almost-valueless piece of civilian-usage scrapmetal. Unfortunately, no amount of Historical Data documents, science, chemistry, or logic is enough to convince them they must let go of their preferred belief. Is this gold, or is it junk? You know which answer Human Nature prefers.

Upvote 0
DCMatt, thank you for the photo - we put it in the growing file of possibilities. A governor for a steam engine was something that we had heard as a possibility several years ago but had no idea what one looked like.

Upvote 0
A major problem in my mind is if it were a cannonball, how the heck would the person loading it be sure the hole through it was not lined up with the bore of the cannon when it was loaded in the cannon?? If the hole were lined up with the bore the muzzle blast would blow right through the hole causing a loss of velocity and accuracy. I have seen a lot of cannonballs, but never one with a hole all the way through it.

Upvote 0
I saw a cannon ball almost identical to the one described in this thread. It came in to a local shop with various native baskets from a guy here on the island. He apparently had a large collection of militaria and specifically Civil War items. The shop thought it was some kind of cannon ball... That said they knew nothing more about it. It had a lot of age to it and had been in the ground for some time. I did not buy it as I was not 100% what it was. It looked round and heavy like a cannon ball, but... Here is a similar piece Cannon Ball with Center Hole: 1812 History though it is not clear if the hole is through both sides... I guess you could call or email to confirm... it is thought to be from the War of 1812 and was found in Ontario ... possibly near Lundy's lane... interesting... Worth a look. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back