@Birgie33

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2020
Sumter
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening! I am new to TreasureNet, but have been told it is a great resource especially for ID'ing dug items. I dug this buckle last Sunday and have a dozen people helping me try to ID it with no luck so far. I've had one or two occasions over the years that I had to reach out to others to help ID an item. This one has got me and many others stumped!! In the area we dug Sunday between my wife and I we dug a full length harmonica reed, a flat button, a very old kind of odd shaped spoon, an 1892 V back nickle, and this buckle. It is fairly thin, has clipped corners, and I am almost certain it is brass. Any help ID'ing this item would be greatly appreciated!! TIA!!

Attachments

• buckle1.jpg
    buckle1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • buckle2.jpg
    buckle2.jpg
    996.7 KB · Views: 75
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard @Birgie33! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE).

Members may have more success helping you if they know the general location of your find.

Upvote 0
Welcome to Tnet from Toronto Birgie! :hello:

These are commonly refereed to as a 'sash buckle'. :thumbsup:
I there's a hole above the sword, so there was likely an insignia or decoration of some sort mounted on the face as well

I don't think it's military related, more likely 'civilian fashion' or possibly from a fraternity or club of some kind.
These buckles were worn by both men and women from the 1850s - 1920s, your find looks to date from the 1880s. :icon_scratch:

That's a nice find,
Dave

Upvote 0
Thanks for the welcome firemanphob!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice vpnavy! I added my location and other info to my "about me".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks very much ANTIQUARIUN. I wondered if it was a sash buckle. They put buckles on all types of stuff back then for sure. I'll have to revisit the spot I dug it in and see if I kind find what may have been attached. Id love to find an image of one online, but so far it's been a bust. Thanks again for your input!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks very much ANTIQUARIUN. I wondered if it was a sash buckle. They put buckles on all types of stuff back then for sure. I'll have to revisit the spot I dug it in and see if I kind find what may have been attached. Id love to find an image of one online, but so far it's been a bust. Thanks again for your input!

Your piece may very well be military, but due to the thin construction it's unlikely.
What we really need a CW expert to chime in here like TheCannonballGuy or smokeythecat. :thumbsup:

Maybe consider posting your find here as well... Civil War

Best of luck when you return to the site,
Dave

Upvote 0
Antiquarian wrote:
> What we really need is a CW expert to chime in here like TheCannonballGuy or smokeythecat.

Still feeling less than 100% functional, but my friend Antiquarian called my name, so I've roused myself to reply.

The buckle's form-of-attachment (on its back) indicates it was manufactured in the late-1800s to very-early 1900s.

The fact that the sword emblem is not visible on both sides of the buckle indicates it is either a solid-cast brass buckle or a stamped-sheetbrass buckle. The finder (new T-Net member @Birgie33) says it is "fairly thin"... which confirms it is indeed stamped-sheetbrass. The sword emblem manufactured separately and "applied" onto the buckle's blank front.

Thus, it is what the O'Donnell buckle-book calls a "stock" buckle/plate. That type was manufactured with no emblem, and the seller would attach whatever kind of emblem the customer wanted. Therefore, it is not a Military-issue buckle, despite having a sword emblem on it.

The sword itself is a short straight-blade type, with a definitely non-Military handguard. Combining that fact with this being a "stock" buckle, made in the late-1800s to very-early-1900s, indicates it is most likely a "Fraternal organization" buckle... for example, the Knights Of Pythias.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the ton of very helpful info TheCannonballGuy! I knew it was old and had my doubts about it being military. Your comments are very helpful. I'd still love to see an image of another one like it or at least similar. Even though it's not military I still think it's pretty dang cool and consider it a "top pocket" find.

Upvote 0
Antiquarian wrote:
> What we really need is a CW expert to chime in here like TheCannonballGuy or smokeythecat.

Still feeling less than 100% functional, but my friend Antiquarian called my name, so I've roused myself to reply.

The buckle's form-of-attachment (on its back) indicates it was manufactured in the late-1800s to very-early 1900s.

The fact that the sword emblem is not visible on both sides of the buckle indicates it is either a solid-cast brass buckle or a stamped-sheetbrass buckle. The finder (new T-Net member @Birgie33) says it is "fairly thin"... which confirms it is indeed stamped-sheetbrass. The sword emblem manufactured separately and "applied" onto the buckle's blank front.

Thus, it is what the O'Donnell buckle-book calls a "stock" buckle/plate. That type was manufactured with no emblem, and the seller would attach whatever kind of emblem the customer wanted. Therefore, it is not a Military-issue buckle, despite having a sword emblem on it.

The sword itself is a short straight-blade type, with a definitely non-Military handguard. Combining that fact with this being a "stock" buckle, made in the late-1800s to very-early-1900s, indicates it is most likely a "Fraternal organization" buckle... for example, the Knights Of Pythias.
It's because of the generosity of members like TheCannonballGuy that we have such a great information resource on Tnet. :occasion14:
Thank you so much for sharing your wealth of knowledge and experience with us my friend!

Hope you're feeling better soon,
Dave

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back