Mysterious Object Found in 1850s Gold Camp

mtnbay

Jan 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mysterious Object Found in 1850's Gold Camp

Found this little doohickey in a pristine 1850's gold rush camp that we have exclusive access to. Some folks here on the forums said they thought there was a similar object posted here before, but I cannot find that thread. It is about 4 inches long and appears to be made of tin. The rear side has an insert that looks like it slid back and forth for whatever reason. I would be more than grateful to anyone that can help identify this item.

back.jpgfront.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0353.JPG
    DSC_0353.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 508
  • DSC_0354.JPG
    DSC_0354.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 510
Last edited:
I don't know what it might be, but it reminds me of a tin frying pan handle.

Upvote 0
I do not think the back is made as a slot but more for strength.
The edge is turned over so the piece will not bend so easily.

Upvote 0
What I think you may have is a tensioner. What it was used for I cannot remember, maybe for curtains or a hanging lard lamp? I can't remember what research CC Hunter and I did on them in the past. Looks like I should have wrote it all down, I lost a lot of links to finds over the years. Maybe CC can remember and chime in.

Here is a pic. of 3 that I could find with one of them complete. I thought it had writing on it but it just has a design. I believe these are circa mid 1860's-1870's. The first two pictured are from an 1870's site and the last one was found in a site like where you found your example.

IM

photo 1.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the identification. The time frame you mention Ironman! would fit right in with the other items we have recently found. We are looking for original Gold Rush era (1849-1860) relics, but we will have to get through the newer stuff first that sits on the surface. Much appreciated!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back