My wife found all of these in one spot.. Carlisle Shippensburg area. Are they good. Why would they all literally be in one spot?

Native Americans did not make a comfortable place for a thumb to fit. People say that about rocks, that it fits in the hand. Many rocks naturally fit in the hand. I see no signs of polish or edge work and no evidence of being made by man.

Native Americans did not make a comfortable place for a thumb to fit. People say that about rocks, that it fits in the hand. Many rocks naturally fit in the hand. I see no signs of polish or edge work and no evidence of being made by man.
I’m not trying to argue for these being artifacrs or be disrespectful but that is kind of a blanket statement don’t you think. I’ve seen plenty of hammer stones with a dimple on the side for the thumb. Why wouldn’t hand tools be made to fit the hand?

I’m not trying to argue for these being artifacrs or be disrespectful but that is kind of a blanket statement don’t you think. I’ve seen plenty of hammer stones with a dimple on the side for the thumb. Why wouldn’t hand tools be made to fit the hand?
I agree with Tnmountians. NA's did not make "thumb or finger" grooves. Those dimples were caused by the stone being a hammer stone.

I would have noticed those too. Here's a picture from Tnet member oldmxrat from 8/24. You can see how the edges are worked, knapped, chipped. Keep looking and keep us posted!
Screenshot 2024-08-31 8.35.45 PM.png

I have read what the membership have written and agree that the samples shown are just natural.

Your claim of seeing many hammer stones with dimples is probably valid.

But were the dimples just a pat of the hammering process?

Been interested in Native artifacts for 6 decades.
But since I started gleaming TN then joining in 2008 it has been a learning experience.

The wealth of knowledge that is here is top knotch.

I wish you the best of luck trying to convince it that your specimens identify as works by man.

I agree with Tnmountians. NA's did not make "thumb or finger" grooves. Those dimples were caused by the stone being a hammer stone.
You know after collecting ,digging, finding and looking at artifacts starting @ 6 years old. I can not really recall any artifact that had any type of grove made by man for fingers? Pottery yes stone no?

Those aren’t mine just a pic I found but I have a couple with the divot: Not sure what having cortex left has to do with having a thumb divot? I don’t want to argue with you TN I know you have a lot of knowledge but you did say hand tools were never made to fit the hand. I find that hard to swallow.

I was thinking of ones like this. I suppose the divot could be from being used as an anvil but sure seems to be a thumb spot
Those are classic hammer stones. The divit is where the surface was the hammer area. The hand does not need dimples or finger grooves to pick up a stone and smack it into something. IE, tent stakes, billets, flint cores, etc.

Last edited:
I agree with both TNMountains and Newnan Man, Native Americans did not knap finger grooves or finger dimples, they are damage from usuage, and or natural erosion and the marvel of the human hand.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back