My very first day detecting....

Shutterbug

Nov 6, 2004
I bought my White's detector in May of 2001 after reading the forum and other articles on different detectors. Anyway, I setteled on the DFX, drove 50 miles to a dealer and could hardly wait to get it home. After reading the manual several times and chargeing the battery overnight, I started out early the next morning. I was very self-conscious and just knew that everyone would be watching me dig holes in the ground, so I went to a park that had walking trails that were seldom used. The part of the park that I went to was on an island. I had never walked the trail before so everything was new to me. After finding a couple of clad coins along the trail, I came upon this HUGE tree that had been in a fire years ago. It was hollowed out inside and you could walk inside the tree standing up. I figured that would be a good place for kids to play so I swung the detector around the inside of the tree and sure enough I got several hits. I dug up several coins from the ground. While digging up one of the coins, I leaned the detector against the tree. The detector kept going off when I moved it around the tree but nothing was in the ground. Then I found out the detector was picking something up that was inside one of the pockets of the tree. I pulled out some moss that was stuffed in the pocket and saw LOTS of quarters. I took them out by the hand full. After cleaning out that pocket, I begin detecting the rest of the tree and sure enough there were other pockets that had coins stuffed inside. Some had mostly quarters, some mostly pennies others were mixed coins. It was werid to say the least. I don't remember how many pocket of coins I found in the tree but there must have been at least nine or ten. Some of the coins were really deep inside the tree and I couldn't get to them. I found enough coins to fill a quart jar that day. When I got home I told my wife about the money tree and the next day we both went back and sure enough we found a bunch more coins. When we finally got all the coins out of the tree that we could get to we had $76.62 all in new claid coins. There were more in the tree trunk but were so deep inside the tree that we couldn't get to them. Remember that I found this casche on my VERY FIRST DAY DETECTING. I have no idea why someone would put the coins in the tree ???. My wife speculated that a Leprechaun lived in the tree ;D. Here are a couple of pictures of the tree and the coins.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back