MY OLDEST U.S. COIN YET 1800 LC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woody420

Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Prizm II -Prizm 6T
Today I headed to my favorite park. This park has gave up some amazing finds over the last couple years. It is also where my oldest finds to date were from including a 1785 reale and 1831 LC. Now I can say my oldest US coin is a 1800 Draped Bust Large Cent!!!!!!!!!!!!! Afraid to clean it any more than I have already. I think I'll leave it as is. The LC was down about 8-9 inches and masked by a square nail shown in the first pic. It was reading 83-84 and also negative vdi's from the nail. I've probably had my coil over that spot a 100 times and never dug it. Now I'll dig everything there with even a mixed positive/negative VDI. I'm so excited that I'm still shaking lol I know with the pics giving its hard to tell but any help norrowing down which variety it is would be a big help!!

Thanks for looking and HH Woody420

DSC04045.jpg

DSC04050.jpg

DSC04055.jpg

DSC04057.jpg

Upvote 0
Re: MY OLDEST U.S. COIN YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome find. Congrats. :thumbsup: I'd be inclined to leave as is also.

No clue on the variety. I only can dream of finding a beauty like that Congrats.

nice one woody... beat my oldest by a year :headbang:

Awesome Draped Bust! IT's such an awesome feeling to unearth such a beautiful coin!

Congratulations on your oldest US coin. I think you are making the right decision in not cleaning it further, that draped bust largie looks fabulous the way it is now. Sounds like you have a terrific site to hunt. These types of sites are not easy to come by. If you dig every signal you might be surprised how many more goodies are waiting for you.

That is an awesome coin. I've been at it for over 34 years and never found a large cent. Congrats on that great find.

DANGLANGLEY

terpfan said:
Congratulations on your oldest US coin. I think you are making the right decision in not cleaning it further, that draped bust largie looks fabulous the way it is now. Sounds like you have a terrific site to hunt. These types of sites are not easy to come by. If you dig every signal you might be surprised how many more goodies are waiting for you.
I plan on digging everything at this park..might take a few years but I'm sure it will be worth it!!! :icon_thumleft:

Those old large cents aren't easy in some places, and damn near impossible in others, so always a good find. I'm happy with my 1795 because I may never find another.

I have an 1848 and an 1854/my brother an 1835 holed "copperhead?"...found at a site 1/10th of a mile where we grew up..just dumb luck...congratulations on your find!!! we love ours... pretty rare in SWMO...

Awesome find

Neil in West Jersey said:
Very nice Woody! I hope it isn't your last great find of the year!
Thanks Neil!! I hope not also!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back