glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
M y Mom was born a city girl .Along with here 2 sisters they lived in a medium size town While they where not ever farmers many of their close relatives where living on a farm When she got older she ended up marring a farmer also And that turned out to be a cousin to my Dad And just to keep it interesting that brother t he one that married to my Mom's sister married an Aunt to my Mom So my Mom and her sister were married to cousins and the cousin and the cousin that was married to my Moms sister had a brother that married the Aunt to the two females in this story It is simple if i attach a few made up names to the tale of romance to rural and I DO MEAN RURAL FARM LIFE IN THE LATE `1700.S into the middle 1900's people where not on the landscape Travel was walking or horse and buggy Ant there was a very limited amount of socializing to be involved in So my Mom FE 1 married MA 1 The sister to my Mom FE 2 married MA2 Who was a cousin to my Dad And then MA3 a brother to MA2 married FE3 who was an aunt to FE1 AND FE2 AND A SISTER TO MA 3 WHO WAS THE FATHER TO FE AND E2 It is not as confusing as it seems one you understand the situation An there was nothing unseemly or improper taking place It was a supply and demand occurrence taking place not many of the opposite sex available to be a partner with So it often was kept in the family just because it was not much to end up with Anyway due to the family ties the many relative farmer relationships meant they where very tight knit groups And they bonded within those groups over common hobbies and things they enjoyed My Mom left the city for farm life in the 1940's She had a large task before her raising a large family helping with farm chores such as milking cows tending a garden and putting up food Some how she also made time to plant some of her r favorite flowers Among them where peonies ,roses. and daffodils and she usually had some zinnias planted The various colors and sizes and the ease of growing them made than a great addition to summer time flowers I have an area that catches the early morning sun And the location makes it a good spot to add color into the front of my house I often think of my Mom busy with all the days jobs she dealt with day to day And yet she took pride in her flowers as her role changed she spent more time with her flowers and it was noticeable just by looking at her flowers As I get older I find myself trying to grow some of the things she liked And Zinnia have become a favorite of mind that she would plant when she was growing them

Here are a pair of pictures that are the zinnias that I have growing this year They are just beginning to bloom and should add many more flowers as the summer goes on

Attachments

• IMG_2105.JPG
    IMG_2105.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2104.JPG
    IMG_2104.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 15
Glass Half: What a great story, and thanks for sharing it with us all. :occasion14:

To be honest, it was difficult to read without punctuation and paragraphs, and I feared that many would just pass over a great story as being too difficult to follow, so I did some editing for you.

Here is your story:

From Glass Half Fool:

"My Mom was born a city girl. Along with her 2 sisters they lived in a medium size town. While they were not ever farmers, many of their close relatives were living on a farm.

When she got older she ended up marrying a farmer, and that turned out to be a cousin to my Dad. And just to keep it interesting, that brother, the one that married to my Mom's sister, married an Aunt to my Mom. So my Mom and her sister were married to cousins, and the cousin that was married to my Moms sister had a brother that married the Aunt to the two females in this story.

It is simple if i attach a few made up names to the tale of romance to rural and I DO MEAN RURAL FARM LIFE in the late 1800's and into the middle 1900's people were not on the landscape. Travel was walking or horse and buggy, and there was a very limited amount of socializing to be involved. So my Mom FE 1 married MA 1, the sister to my Mom. FE 2 married MA2 who was a cousin to my Dad, and then MA3 who was a brother to MA2 married FE3 who was an aunt to FE1 AND FE2 AND A SISTER TO MA 3 WHO WAS THE FATHER TO FE AND E2.

It is not as confusing as it seems once you understand the situation. And there was nothing unseemly or improper taking place. It was a supply and demand occurrence taking place; not many of the opposite sex available to be a partner with. So it often was kept in the family just because it was not much to end up with. Anyway, due to the family ties the many relative farmer relationships meant they where very tight knit groups, and they bonded within those groups over common hobbies and things they enjoyed.

My Mom left the city for farm life in the 1940's She had a large task before her raising a large family, helping with farm chores such as milking cows, tending a garden, and putting up food. Some how she also made time to plant some of her favorite flowers. Among them were peonies, roses and daffodils, and she usually had some zinnias planted. The various colors and sizes and the ease of growing them made them a great addition to summer time flowers.

I have an area that catches the early morning sun, and the location makes it a good spot to add color into the front of my house. I often think of my Mom.. busy with all the days jobs she dealt with day to day, and yet she took pride in her flowers. As her role changed, she spent more time with her flowers and it was noticeable just by looking at her flowers. As I get older I find myself trying to grow some of the things she liked And Zinnia have become a favorite of mine that she would plant when she was growing them."

Last edited:
Glass Half: What a great story, and thanks for sharing it with us all. :occasion14:

To be honest, it was difficult to read without punctuation and paragraphs, and I feared that many would just pass over a great story as being too difficult to follow, so I did some editing for you.

Here is your story:

From Glass Half Fool:

"My Mom was born a city girl. Along with her 2 sisters they lived in a medium size town. While they were not ever farmers, many of their close relatives were living on a farm.

When she got older she ended up marrying a farmer, and that turned out to be a cousin to my Dad. And just to keep it interesting, that brother, the one that married to my Mom's sister, married an Aunt to my Mom. So my Mom and her sister were married to cousins, and the cousin that was married to my Moms sister had a brother that married the Aunt to the two females in this story.

It is simple if i attach a few made up names to the tale of romance to rural and I DO MEAN RURAL FARM LIFE in the late 1800's and into the middle 1900's people were not on the landscape. Travel was walking or horse and buggy, and there was a very limited amount of socializing to be involved. So my Mom FE 1 married MA 1, the sister to my Mom. FE 2 married MA2 who was a cousin to my Dad, and then MA3 who was a brother to MA2 married FE3 who was an aunt to FE1 AND FE2 AND A SISTER TO MA 3 WHO WAS THE FATHER TO FE AND E2.

It is not as confusing as it seems once you understand the situation. And there was nothing unseemly or improper taking place. It was a supply and demand occurrence taking place; not many of the opposite sex available to be a partner with. So it often was kept in the family just because it was not much to end up with. Anyway, due to the family ties the many relative farmer relationships meant they where very tight knit groups, and they bonded within those groups over common hobbies and things they enjoyed.

My Mom left the city for farm life in the 1940's She had a large task before her raising a large family, helping with farm chores such as milking cows, tending a garden, and putting up food. Some how she also made time to plant some of her favorite flowers. Among them were peonies, roses and daffodils, and she usually had some zinnias planted. The various colors and sizes and the ease of growing them made them a great addition to summer time flowers.

I have an area that catches the early morning sun, and thDizzy

Here is your story:

From Glass Half Fool:

I have an area that catches the early morning sun, and the location makes it a good spot to add color into the front of my house. I often think of my Mom.. busy with all the days jobs she dealt with day to day, and yet she took pride in her flowers. As her role changed, she spent more time with her flowers and it was noticeable just by looking at her flowers. As I get older I find myself trying to grow some of the things she liked And Zinnia have become a favorite of mine that she would plant when she was growing them."

Here is your story:

From Glass Half Fool:

e location makes it a good spot to add color into the front of my house. I often think of my Mom.. busy with all the days jobs she dealt with day to day, and yet she took pride in her flowers. As her role changed, she spent more time with her flowers and it was noticeable just by looking at her flowers. As I get older I find myself trying to grow some of the things she liked And Zinnia have become a favorite of mine that she would plant when she was growing them."
DizzyDigger you did an incredible job going through my lengthy post that I started yesterday. I have a progressive metical condition that makes it increasing more difficult to focus on details concerning such things as punctuation and sentence structure ,and paragraphs etc My Mom and both of her sisters where members of the National Honor Society during their High School years So they took knowledge and education as a serious part of their My Mom was both book smart and smart with practical smart She had a mind for numbers and math skills and she was good at problem solving She made most of her own clothes and the same for all of her daughters She did a good deal of making things by knitting and she was able to do all the sawing skills that where part of everyday life during those times It should be obvious that I consider her to be a saint She had the most influence on my life than anyone else And I think many of my brothers and sisters would say the same And for me one way to keep her memory in my mind is to plant some flowers that she would pant Here is ne more thing to keep in mind If you pull the dried flower heads off the sem in the fall and lwet hem dry youcan use them as seed for next year Soone nore thing about my Mom she kwnew hot to do thing And he wasinformed enoughtio save money and still acheive her gioale

Here is your story:

From Glass Half Fool:

Dizzy

Here is your story:

From Glass Half Fool:

Dizzy I give you and A PLUS on the editing job and an A PLUS PLUS on capturing the spirit and point of view that I was attempting to portray If I had known you could do it so well I would have had you do it for me It probably would have been easier that way I have a medical condition that cause me to not focus on some parts of what I am trying to accomplish It can be quite frustrating . Thanks for making it possible to share my thoughts about my Mom and her flowers She was the most influential person in my life And I am for ever thankful for that

GHF..your mom sounds like an awesome lady..it would have been an honor to know her.

As for the editing, just write you're posts as normal, and if you want me to fix it up I'd be happy to, ANYTIME. Just send me a message.
:occasion14:

She was everything anyone
could hope to be ..Smart, Attractive.. Hard working,. solid in her beliefs. Stern but kind hearted and understanding But I what most sticks in my mind about her is she was always seemingly just like everyone else .She had a way of dealing with people and the events that life handed her over time She was good at everything she did And in spite of some difficult times she had to endure she somehow always had time to grow so flowers And when those flowers where making the world a lot better looking That was one more thing that made her happy

Last edited:
I originally made my first post on this thread on July20 2024 So about 3 weeks have passed since than It has been a scorching hot summer here this yea I would guess we have had 92 degrees or hotter at least 40 to 45 days And most years we have about 25 days with temps that high July 2024 set a new record as the hottest July on record in my area .But we managed to get a few small rains and I have watered a few times and added some fertilizer M y easily grown zinnias have done well about 1/3 of the front of my house is as bright and cheerful as it has been for a number of years It may be the flowers making it that way or it that way or it could be my Mom smiling as she looks over one of her favorite flowers And another thing that makes me enjoy Zinnias is the many different butterflies that feed on them Today is August the 3th Zinnias bloom until the frost kills them which means I should have some that are blooming until near to the end of OCT Than I pull all the dead flower/seed heads dry them and clean them for my source of seed for next years. seed Right now it looks like I need to plan for an expanded area to plant what seems like it will be bumper crop of seed I am pretty sure my Mom is watching with a smile AND THAT IS WHAT THIS IS ABOUT

Attachments

• ALH.JPG
    ALH.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 7
Great stories about your family and especially your Mom! Thanks for sharing all that with us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back