My Matching "Gold" Rings

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
My Matching "Gold" Rings

Well guys n gals... I got the chance to hunt this very old home that I have eyed for several years. The grass is high enough that I knew the old stuff probably wouldnt come today... but I managed 41 coins.... all clad.... no wheats even.... well in 2 different parts of the yard I found these 2 rings... I saw them and knew from experience that they were junk and had been originally brass plated.... well I got them home and cleaned them to show the wife.... then inside I see a hallmark..... and sure enough they are both stamped as being "18K"..... I guess when the original owners saw that they werent really gold, they threw them in the yard LOL..... I have found many other brass plated rings... but never any that had been stamped...... anyone else find any like these??

Attachments

• rings.JPG
    rings.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 491
Upvote 0
Re: My Matching "Gold" Rings

I have found several of those over the years marked 14K and 18K I feel sorry for who ever got ripped off, It seems like it was popular to do in the middle 1800's.

Steve

Found one stamped 18k about 5 inches down. It had some markings on it that were clovers and such. Sent the pics to Mark Parker from Western and Eastern and he said they were marked like that as a way to deceive for more $$$$...Still a cool find...jgas

cool finds anyway! Sad that folks feel the need to decieve with the hallmarks but makes for an interesting find if nothing else. Keep at it and find the real gold! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back