Oct 4, 2007
Cincinnati
Detector(s) used
Whites Xlt w/ Bullseye pinpointer

Attachments

• latest button.jpg
    latest button.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 86
We need to see a well-focused closeup photo of your button's back, and also a "sideways" photo. Do you see any lettering (or design) on its back? If so, please tell us everything the lettering says. That can help to accurately time-date a button's era of manufacture.

Upvote 0
DSCF0791.JPGDSCF0792.JPGDSCF0793.JPG

Front, back and side. Unfortunately the back doesn't show much. Its all rusted up. Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0
Your button is constructed from three "pieces"... an iron back, and a brass front, which are attached to each other by a brass crimp-ring (which is the third "piece"). Combining that type of construction with the fact that your button shows a pictorial scene on its front (a water-wheel millhouse, for grinding grain into flour or cornmeal), suggests it is what button-collectors call a Victorian-era "picture button," manufactured from the mid-1800s through the start of the 1900s. They were made for use on fashionable coats and jackets. Although picture-buttons were more often worn by women than men, in this case, your button might have been on a Miller's coat.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much Mr. Cannonball Guy Sir. This is 3 buttons you have identified for me thus far and for that I am grateful.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back