My Homebuilt mineral jig & auto-feeder in action

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I built this unit a couple of years ago, but didn't have a video camera. Finally got one, and thought I'd post a vid of the unit in operation. I started out with a vibratory auto-feeder, and that worked OK, but I decided to build a rotary feeder last winter, and I like it better....the speed is more adjustable. I also need to install some weatherstrip along the top of the main box, as it leaks on the pressure pulse where the screen box joins it. That wastes water, when I'm in dry country.
I just let the country rock be the ragging, and the gems (being heavier) end up in the screen box, which is emptied into a small bucket, periodically. I just dump the bucket into a fine screen and pick out the gems by hand. The jig has adjustable speed, and runs from about 60 to 150 strokes/minute. I usually run it about 75 for gems, or fine gold, and faster for coarser gold. When using it for gold, you can use 1/4"steel balls for ragging, and the gold will drop through the screen, and end up in the hutch. The hutch is tapered at a 45* angle, and has a cap that can be removed to remove the cons.

Jim

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back