Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

As many of you know, I recently bought a White's Dual Field PI. I took the machine on its inaugural run and did pretty well. I was hoping for some gold, but it was not to be this time. I went out for three, four-hour sessions in the surf and dug an embarrassing amount of change. Also got numerous sunglasses (only 3 pair were keepers, but one was prescription, which I tossed). The other 5 were destroyed when found. Also got a large knife, a 1945-S wheat cent, and strangely enough I dug my first Susan B. Anthony Dollar. :icon_scratch: No idea what that was doing there. I was lucky enough to dig three rings (one each outing). The rings were 2 tungsten carbide wedding bands and a silver ring with tiny diamond chips. Totals are below:

98 pennies (incl. 1 wheat)
10 nickels
31 dimes
38 quarters
1 Susan B. Anthony Dollar

($15.08 in clad)

1 pocketknife
fishing sinkers, etc.
small necklace (junk)
bracelet (junk)
8 sunglasses
7 junk earrings

2 silver earrings
2 tungsten wedding bands
1 silver ring

Overall I had a blast, but I did dig by butt off. What you see below was the product of 12 hours of nonstop digging. What you aren't seeing is all the pulltabs, bobby pins, rusted nails, encrusted fish hooks, junk, crappe, foil, bottle caps, and destroyed pieces of metal framed sunglasses. The junk I dug totally filled up a kitchen trash can. Detecting in the surf waist deep at night is not easy, but it's a nice change of pace from land hunting. I think I will go for a wider scoop next time, as I almost Never got the target in the scoop the first try, so being able to remove just a little more sand each time would be ideal. If you hunt with a PI machine, I'd appreciate your scoop suggestions. I did have the gain cranked way up and was digging knee-deep holes a lot of the time. Long way to go for a zincoln.

BUT--time to go back to the real world of snakes, gators, skeeters, sucking mud, and 105 degrees on land. :coffee2:

IMG_0508.JPGIMG_0510.JPG IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG IMG_0516.JPG IMG_0517.JPG

Cheers,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 26
Gold IS hard to come by, and you sure gave it a good try. I only managed an average of one per year, but haven't water hunted for a couple of seasons now, I do have spot in mind just haven't got there.

About scoops, you didn't say what you had ? I would recommend an RTG With the travel type (2 piece) handle. They are very well made, and finished, there are no sharp edges. I have handled a few different scoops, and these seem to be the nicest IMO. Correct geometry, and care was taken to deburr all the holes.

Not getting the target in the first scoop (not withstanding it being deeper) what I do is pinpoint, and leave the coil over the target, then bring the scoop right up to the coil (yes it's loud) then move coil, and scoop. If it's not deep you should be right on the spot.

Fun finds. I always enjoy finding Tungsten rings. I like their "heft."

They look great on fingers, too!

-Skippy

Buck, I'm sure soon enough you'll be pulling 300 year old coins, buckles, and buttons from Davie Jones' locker. Keep it up!

Steve

So nice to be in the water and breeze. Some things I didn't miss about the dirt digging, namely the heat and bugs and mud. But I of course did miss the chance to dig something really old.

I agree with this - every word. I water-hunted yesterday, and I had so much fun, three hours passed by with the blink of an eye. Two of that, I was underwater - "Skoobering." :laughing7:

I can relate about you wanting older areas though. Same here. Clads and bling are fine, and they're better than bottlecaps, but there's nothing like old silver shining through the dirt to get me excited... well old gold maybe...

You did very good using the DF, a very chatty machine. .. If your inland I would bet there are plenty of old swimming holes which hold many hidden treasures. Good Luck !!

For some reason I've always gotten a thrill when I find a Wheat Cent , and those Susan B.'s don't show up all that often -
they were a hugely unpopular coin - I got two of them back in change last summer , the vendor thought they were quarters
I thought so too .

Gold IS hard to come by, and you sure gave it a good try. I only managed an average of one per year, but haven't water hunted for a couple of seasons now, I do have spot in mind just haven't got there.

About scoops, you didn't say what you had ? I would recommend an RTG With the travel type (2 piece) handle. They are very well made, and finished, there are no sharp edges. I have handled a few different scoops, and these seem to be the nicest IMO. Correct geometry, and care was taken to deburr all the holes.

Not getting the target in the first scoop (not withstanding it being deeper) what I do is pinpoint, and leave the coil over the target, then bring the scoop right up to the coil (yes it's loud) then move coil, and scoop. If it's not deep you should be right on the spot.

Hiya Rick! Excellent tip on the pinpointing and scooping, will have to try that. I do own a RTG scoop but the wet sand really doesn't like to come out of it. It also seems a little small

Hiya Rick! Excellent tip on the pinpointing and scooping, will have to try that. I do own a RTG scoop but the wet sand really doesn't like to come out of it. It also seems a little small

So does it have 1/2 inch holes ? if so I would drill them out to 5/8", which is small enough to keep any small ring or dimes in. It will empty a lot faster.
RTG also has 6" and 8" diameter buckets, though I don't think I'd want a 8 incher.

PS when the visibility is zero from stirring up dirt, you pretty much have to use the method I mentioned.

So does it have 1/2 inch holes ? if so I would drill them out to 5/8", which is small enough to keep any small ring or dimes in. It will empty a lot faster.
RTG also has 6" and 8" diameter buckets, though I don't think I'd want a 8 incher.

PS when the visibility is zero from stirring up dirt, you pretty much have to use the method I mentioned.

Great tip, Rick. I'll do that next time. I think that the reason the sand sticks so well is that the scoop is circular. But maybe sticky sand is just, well...sticky :D

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back